[Dynagroove] DEEP

Greg Lundberg loopbased at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 9 09:26:35 PDT 2001

from the little bit of mark grant i have heard, he has a harder, yes "clubby" sound. i'm not saying cheesy music doesn't exist, but it seems like people equate clubby with cheesy. i like club music. there is just a whole different energy to it. i get the impression there's quite a disconnect between people in the "house" scene and people in the "club" scene. who here goes to giant or spundae? can you imagine dazy or cade or any of our beloved house dj's playing some mega club? i just don't think it would work. the same way it wouldn't work to have roger sanchez or timo maas or boy george play a small venue like gabah or shaolin temple.

i had heard doc at some big parties and i loved it, then the first time i saw him at vynyl he was playing such a different sound, much more downtempo and not so hard, and i didn't really like it as much. i was compelled to ask him about it, and he ended up making this distinction about big room/small room. i thought about it and realized it has a lot more to do with just room size. it's all about the people. the people who go to spundae are not the same people who go to MORE. (are they?) do you like it intimate or anonymous? when i go to a big club (which i don't do too often) i appreciate the anonymity i have there, i feel more free. MORE on the other hand feels like home to me but i'm not always in such a social mood.

a year or two ago, a few friends and i went to santa barbara for a night. we went to the house of some middle-aged washed up retired dj named todd. so his story goes, he used to tour the european club circuit but he got out of it just a little while before this whole dj culture thing blew up---but he's still buying records here and there. anywayz me and a couple of the guys i came with brought our records and we were playing our sets, thinking we had skills and everything.. then after a while this guy todd got on and absolutely took us to school. he changed my life. the records he played ranged from deep ass house to really clubby designer trance.. absolutely amazing the way he built things with textures and really took you on this journey through the sounds and feelings of clubland. he gave me a vision of club culture. everything about it is big and glamorous and professional. it's a culmination of all the big things happening in fashion and sound and music and design. i like when i go somewhere and everyone is dressed to the nines, they smell good, the music is fresh and bangin, you can feel the sound system thumping in your chest. there is just this air of 'clubbiness' and a sense that you are part of an elite global movement that lives on the cutting edge.

after i discovered that ideal, i have to say MORE really took me by surprise and showed me something different. here i was imagining everything on such a large scale, then i went to this small venue that i'd driven by countless times. there's no line, the bouncer doesn't sweat you, you walk in to be greeted by the funky fresh karim, the smell of nag champa permeates the air, the lighting is dim, and the music is definitely HOUSE. the system is decent, there's no fancy intelligent lighting system, people are dressed however they want to. i can always find some friends there or if not, it's easy to make them. you can always expect the music to be great, whether it's tony watson and scott or the local/international guests they regularly surprise us with. the VIBE is just always on.

i appreciate both of these ideals. they represent different things that i love.

greg