[Dynagroove] On the subject of females...

MzCherryBomb at aol.com MzCherryBomb at aol.com
Mon Aug 13 02:19:14 PDT 2001

Fellow Dyna-women and Sister DJs,

...females being portrayed as mere "go-go" dancers in FRONT of the decks ...
having little inclination for genres, labels, DJs, producers or anything
pertinent to the underground music scene other than shaking her little ass...

scary shit, EH?  *Canadian terminology*

It appears that our "neighbors to the North," especially our male
counterparts up in Toronto need to be reminded that we are no longer in the
1980s.

My visit to Toronto this week included a stop at a record store called "The
Pit" ... excuse me. Did I say "record store?"  I meant "DJ Store."  At least
this is what I was informed it was by a male staff member. This was told to
me right after he yanked a "Chicken Lips" EP sleeve from my hand and slammed
off the Gemini turntable (how appropriate).  I then proceeded to explain to
him that I had wanted to check out a few records while away from the states.
He scolded me, saying that I wasn't allowed to just "come into a DJ STORE and
listen to a record." I was to go to him, tell him what type of music I liked
and he would pick out records for me; this was the way it is in any DJ STORE
(???). He sure didn't have the same attitude toward any of the boys doing the
exact same thing as I had been doing. I was literally on fire inside as he
further informed me that I wasn't supposed to be listening to Chicken Lips
because it wasn't "house."  He proceeded to hand me a stack of "house"
records  to "look" at.  I kindly thanked him for his time after handing the
records right back to him.  I was outta there.

I am not saying to stop supporting "The Pit," because I'm sure the owner is
not the one at fault. I just want everyone to know that this kind of stuff
still exists. Also, this incident is not isolated. I spoke with a few girls
in the local downtown area who claim that they have had similar experiences
themselves.

Is it just luck that has gotten you this far within whatever musical journey
you may be on?  It sure the fuck isn't.  It's your love and knowledge of the
music.  It doesn't matter what your reason for getting behind the tables are,
you do it because you love it.  Each and every one of you has helped in the
advancement of females being recognized in this industry, even something as
minute as supporting the local club or party that your favorite sister is
playing at on any given night.

My point is this: long after "Equal Rights" have become our "Right," this
stuff is still happening. It doesn't make any sense. There are still males
out there who think girls just don't KNOW, as we parade around the female DJs
who DO know like a circus show... Males in the scene need to take a hard look
into themselves and make sure that they aren't doing the same thing. Maybe
even unintentionally. It needs to advance up and away from this form of
thinking. Real quick.

**Please do not reply publicly back to the list. The last thing I want is to
start a riot.  If you must vent, or do not like what I have to say, reply
back to me personally, or spend the energy doing something constructive to
help further support the female DJs in your own community. Sexism sucks**

Cherilyn