[Dynagroove] Re: CutChemist

Ryan Moran damagician at mindspring.com
Tue Mar 5 21:45:27 PST 2002

Not to get TOO off topic, but I do think that it relates to the house scene...

A lot of people don't realize the records people like Cut Chemist and Numark have. These are REAL rare 45s and original breaks/beats that are just way hard to come by. Now, if you factor in the fact that they travel a lot and risk losing them in flight, getting damaged while traveling, or just getting burned by playing too much....you now have a REASON behind the fact some DJs will use (especially the new) cd turntables. Of course...you COULD go by Shadow's philosophy: records are meant to be played...burnout shouldn't be an issue.

Also, as it has already been said, people like Mark Farina will test a track out on a crowd via CD-R, and other DJs will play unreleased tracks because nobody else has 'em. Is this a progression? I think so...I mean, you can drop a track few others have, and isn't that one reason we all go to see the bigger DJs who've got access to stuff that's not available to the general public?

-Ryan