[Dynagroove] Coachella Heaven.

Audri Nakamura nerdgrl356 at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 11:20:37 PDT 2002

So I finally am getting around to writing a review on Coachella - a little
bit late but oh well!  Anyhoot, I will honestly say that I never had SO much
fun before.... it was insanely off the hook~

Saturday--
Pharcyde- this is prolly the only act that I was disappointed in. Since they
took forever to come on (you kno how hip hop always lags), they only
performed 2 songs and left us wanting more... it wasn't worth waiting an
hour and merging thru the crowd to get a better view for....

Miguel Migs- whew! I love Migs, and it was a wonderful surprise to see/hear
Lisa Shaw as well... I've been wanting to see Lisa Shaw for awhile but never
got the chance to and so I was completely stoked. Such an amazing voice!

Kosheen- ran over to the other tent to go catch Kosheen, who just blew me
away.  The vocalist has such a powerful, soulful voice and I totally dug the
live act. Not only did they play drum n' bass (almost forgot how much I used
to love d&b), but some other stuff- don't really know what it was- ghetto
rock? Whatever, I'm not a music expert either so pardon me if I'm wrong.

Queens of the Stone Age- had NO idea who they were, but we went to go grab
something to eat and heard them playing on the 2nd stage and they were going
off! The guitarist was just going at it, and it was pretty dope so we stayed
a little to check them out.

Groove Armada- MUCH better than I last heard them, but only heard them for
about 30 minutes, got me grooving so it's all bueno!

Bjork- I never really was a big fan of Bjork, just not my style but I wanted
to see her just for the sake of it and was I glad I did.... she has the
cutest accent ever *zank you, zank you very much!* and when she sang the
ballads when there was technical diffuculties, that completely blew me
away... it's always nice to hear & experience something new, and keep an
open mind naw mean?

Went over to the main tent b/c we were freezing our asses off & caught a bit
of Digweed. He was okay, trainwrecking .. but I expected more b/c the one
time I saw Sasha & Digweed a couple of years ago, they blew me away but it
just wasn't happenin'....

And my favorite act of both days... CHEMICAL BROTHERS. I thought they were
doing a dj set so we were just gonna stop by, but then realized they were
performing live and holy s@#t, that was the most insane performance I've
ever seen. Caught them right at "It Began in Afrika" and just the whole
setup w/the lights, visuals... I was going nuts b/c I've never seen anything
like that before... two guys who can just put any beats together and the
CONTROL they had over the crowd (when they played that one track that goes
"Hey boy... hey girl.. superstar dj.. HERE WE GO!!") and the whole crowd was
just rockin' it, I was having so much fun!! I loved it when they played
"Star Guitar"-- such a beautiful track... so friken awesome.

Sunday--
Mos Def- what can I say?! Nothing beats live hip hop. Played some 'ghetto
rock' (whatever that means) and a sick ass remix of MIss Phat Booty, played
some old stuff... definitely awesome for such an early act.

The Strokes- yup, I dug them too. Wasn't disappointed at all.

Foo Fighters- whoo hoo! Caught about 1/2 of their performance, totally
rockin' it.

Prodigy- mmm. My 2nd favorite act, but I didn't like how they played all
their bangin shit first, then after the hits, people started leaving, and
they got into some weird stuff I didn't like.. but I stayed and it got
better. Definitely was worth seeing though.

Triple Threat- wanted to catch a bit of them... only caught Shortkut &
Apollo for a few minutes. I would've rather seen them battle, but they were
just switching off.. Not bad, not bad at all, wish there was more people in
the room to enjoy the art of turntablism.

BT- I'm a big fan of BT, even though his style of music is not my #1 choice,
and I wanted to see how he did as a dj rather than performing live like he
usually does since he was doing a dj set. Not bad at all... I thought he was
going to play cheesy trance, but he was playing some sick ass bangin
breaks.. unfortunately I couldn't take it anymore and we left early b/c of
dire exhaustion....

Ok this was longer than I expected it to be, but there's a detailed review
for all u folks. I definitely had an insanely dope time b/c it was a change
of pace, the weather was nice-- hot, but I'm glad it wasn't a blazing 107
degrees... and I got to catch almost all the acts I wanted to see.
Unfortunately I missed Zero 7 b/c Prodigy was on at the same time and I
really wanted to see KRS-One, but oh well! :)

--Dri