[Dynagroove] club survey

Audri Nakamura nerdgrl356 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 10:58:35 PDT 2002

Well here's my honest opinion-- (I'll prolly get shit
for it too, but IDGAF!)

People just talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.
I see people complain CONSTANTLY about "why don't
the promoters bring so-and-so" out, etc.; but there
is a lack of numbers in attendance.  And then yet
people still complain about no new talent or fresh
sounds coming to LA.  Within the past months,
look at all the insane talent that was brought out-
Fred Everything (VinylTribe), Mike Clark, Theo Parrish,
Jazzanova, and some to come- Titonton Duvante, Metro
Area, Da Book, Moodymann (*crosses fingers that he'll
be brought out here*), etc.  but all have a lack of attendance.
Don't complain if you're not willing to try something new
or not willing to support... I love the fact that more people
are trying to bring out Detroit talent, I love how the people
who have gotten me into the dirty, techy, quirky sound have
educated me and opened my mind to something new, I just wish
more people would support the new talent & people trying to
bring LA something fresh!

I also agree it's also the way a lot of dj's play now.
For example, look at how Farina plays when he comes to LA.
Now, Farina is my favorite like no other, but I hate when
he plays in LA b/c all I hear are the same ol songs and shit I
can listen to at home... but when I saw him & Derrick
Carter in SF back in July- he completely blew my mind
away.  I know a lot of other dj's do that too... and so
when new talent actually IS brought out- people aren't
as open to the new sounds b/c it isn't the shit that Farina
or Diz plays since LA isn't "used" to hearing something
different.

I also think it's a lot to do w/image & trendiness as well.
People just be jumping on the bandwagon... don't really
try to understand or feel the music, but rather just stand
around and look cool... or go somewhere just merely to be
there.  I mean, I haven't been in the house scene as long
as a lot of you up in here, but these are just my observations.

Props to those crews who bring out the fresh talent, you've
got my support.  And for those of you who don't know, ya
better ask someboday!

--Dri