[Dynagroove] all about CLE' & why you don't want to miss his opening set @ HOME this Saturday

amanda m dtek29 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 22 20:23:09 PST 2003

Cle' hails from Dallas, Texas where he got his start DJing in 1990.  Influenced by his love of 80s retro, Cle' started buying records at an early age but it wasn't till 1987 (often known as the year the term "house" was born) at a well-known club called Starck in Dallas that Cle' was exposed to house music .  He would sneak in with a fake ID and watch the DJ night after night  and being the rockstar that he is, it didn't take long for Cle' to start playing out - he booked his first DJ gig @ Club Clearview in Dallas in 1992 and shortly thereafter played his first gig in Los Angeles in 1993 .

It was during those early years in Dallas that Cle'  hooked up with some like-minded individuals who were looking to get out of the club scene and find a home for the music they loved.  The end result was the Hazy Daze Collectif (HDC), a large crew of djs and producers in Dallas including Cle', Mike Constantino, & Shawn Holland who fostered the creation of the underground warehouse parties in Dallas.  The Hazy Daze parties ruled the Dallas house scene from 1993-1997, drawing attendees from across the world and bringing in world class talent such as Derrick Carter and DRY (UK).  The relationships that formed during the time HDC was in effect ultimately led to the creation of Aesoteric & Fairpark Recordings and as Cle' described "...Aesoteric & Fairpark are people that I was working with in my collectif...we were all a part of it... I never had any releases but I was pretty much part of the family."  Today, the friendships remain.    Overtime Cle' grew an affinity for LA and with a  feeling that the Dallas house scene was nearing an end, Cle' moved to LA in 2000 and brought with him a eclectic blend of musical influences and a whole lot of raw talent.  Influenced by the likes of Derrick Carter & Diz whose music he describes as "timeless,"  Cle's sound can best be described as "deep house" - but it might not be the "deep house" style you know and love.  As Cle' explained, "...there are styles of house that only last for a year or so like electro...that is gonna die by next year...coz there are trends, good ones tho but they never last. well, after years of listening to the different styles you kinda learn how to pick out the ones that will last everyone always goes back to house music after the trends die down.  i have seen it happen lots, even with me. i played progressive tribal, all that suff and i wound up goin back to house coz the music is 'seriously timeless.' like all the old acid house records i play - people still love em coz they still sound new so, i dont know how to sum all this up in 2 words to describe my music...coz that is basically what deep house is...and lots of ppl throw that term around to where it doesnt apply."

This forward-thinking approach to music is exactly what sets Cle' apart from the crowd and his unique version of "deep" has been blowin' minds around town since he came to LA in 2000.  With an eclectic sound that crosses over genres combined with a rare technical prowess on the decks, you can be sure no matter whether he's dropping the latest Johnny Fiasco track or an old-school acid house record, you're going to feel it, heads are going to turn, and you will dance.

Having blessed the decks in Dallas, San Francisco, NYC, UK and LA, Cle' is looking forward to traveling more as a DJ but also will be devoting alot more time to the newly formed record label Soundproof Music, which he started with Waric Cameron & Mike Constantino as a vehicle for their production.  Lookout for his first release on Soundproof entitled "Model 3" which Cle' describes as "dark & minimal house music."

Home is very happy to welcome back Cle' this Saturday, Jan 25th @ King-King for the OM Lounge Vol. 7 Record Release party.  Cle' will be playing a very special opening set that's going to set the vibe for a wonderful night of music featuring LA's own house darling Rithma and Carlos Mendoza of the Lawnchair Generals.

This event is not to be missed so come early and stay late cuz this house won't be a home without you...

See you on the floor, a.

ps:  you can catch all the 411 on Home @ http://deepfunkrecords.com/events/home.html.