[Dynagroove] Burning Man 2003

juju cabra jujucabra at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 08:25:07 PDT 2003

gah... why do people keep having to call it a fuckin rave party?

I personally dislike that people tend to bill it as a massive rave party,
because there's really so much more to it than just the raves that go on at
night. It's an experiment in community, a fesival where people defy the
elements to live their life exactly as they want to for one week in the
desert.

There's a lot of people who like desert parties, and can afford to bring
their shit out and throw down. I'm one of them... There are also a lot of
people who don't dig on the electronic music scene at all, and are out there
rockin out and tripping on whatever it is that does it for them. I did far
more cooking than I did dancing. I went out and met the neighbors, hosted a
dinner party, helped build a badass "take a gift/leave a gift" structure to
encourage gifting, and campaigned for Gary Coleman in 2003. You don't do
that during a rave.

We build a city. Our camp served as a venue for hookah smokin, belly
dancing, a historical re-enactment with hip-hop pilgrims, and a cool
accordian player who taught us drinking songs. We had a system, but I'd have
to say we listened more to Herb Alpert, Ella Fitzgerald and the Beatles than
we did to techno. I love my city, it's got something for everyone. And that
does include ravers and people who celebrate through dance, but it's not
limited to them, and shouldn't be described as such.

Sorry to come off as bitchy, but I had this conversation with two raver bois
from Boise who'd decided to make the trek out to BRC this year instead of
Ibiza and were trying to compare the two. I asked what they'd spent their
days doing... mostly sleeping and trying to recover for the next night of
partying.  Way to participate, guys! I mean, yes, there needs to be both
people who throw parties as well as people who go to them... but for the
most part, from what I've seen the *ravers* aren't really giving all that
much back to the community.

Keep in mind that Burningman is all about participation.

Glad you took the important first step, which is survivng your first year.
Now it's up to you to take what you've learned and do something that will
benefit the city, and not just your ass muscles. Then figure out how to
incorporate that into your daily life. Welcome to life.

~juju

Disco Chef Extraordinaire
Kathanika 2003