[Dynagroove] A weeiiirrd Good Life last Tuesday

BadIYE at aol.com BadIYE at aol.com
Fri Apr 2 01:57:08 PST 2004

Hey all.   Last Tuesday @ Tangier was PACKED.  Unfortunetaly, we had an
extremely surprising surge in "mainstream" peeps that night, you know, the type
that hangs at the bar in the other room.   Dancers were definitely in the
minority.  In addition, some had the gumption to request Hip Hop.    I did not
personally know many of these people, but when asked, they were clearly aware that
there was a party on Tuesdays at Tangier.  The refrain was the same and a
little frightening:  "we heard there was a "good party" at Tangier" or "we've been
told Tangier is good on Tuesdays" like it's some "Garden of Eden" kind of
party.  huh?

Then I found out that lalate.com had rated us the #1 Tuesday party, billing
the party without the brand name (no mention of the GOOD LIFE name), no listing
of DJs, AND describing the music as "House & underground Hip Hop".   So it's
not completely the fault of those who came out thinking they'll hear some
underground hip hop, but a good Ben Annand closing set went to waste and that's a
shame.  To his immense credit, Ben was all class and played right through it
all.

Earlier in the night, DRUE managed to roll with some persistent technical
sound problems (yes, it was that kind of night.  All you other promoters, do you
feel my pain?) and he delivered a tremendous six feet hunder house set (can
you say, deep?).  Atomic sensed the "commercial" nature of that night's crowd
and he jammed some house tunes with a decidedly poppy edge to it, but he made it
sounded extremely funky.  He probably had the best reaction from this tepid
crowd, as he managed to pull them in from the bar for a little dancing, mashing
up the likes of Prince and MJ.

It was one of those bizarre nights. For those who showed up last Tuesday from
Dynagroove's list, thank you.  If you felt the vibe was strange, partners and
I also felt the same.  We believe it's an aberration.  We will recapture the
natural dance oriented vibe of the Good Life next Tuesday with DJs CODY LEE
WILLIAMS and ELVIS.  I will put up a separate post for that.   If you've never
heard these guys, I definitely recommend showing up.  Cody Lee is one of the
most technically gifted and original DJs  I've ever seen, while ELVIS is Funky
House on two legs.

Best to all,

Imad.