[Dynagroove] All Sweaty And Feeling Fine

Edward Armendarez edwardcarl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 5 03:04:36 PDT 2004

I didn't get my dynagroove newsletter Saturday, so I'm not sure I did
the right thing, (missed Tropical whatever), but thank God I don't go
to the gym anymore or else I'd be dead.  Aaron is so right about Dirty
Dirty House at Parlour on Thursdays.  It was a mystery why someone
didn't give Tony Powell a home long ago; he is a master.  I remember
the early days of the Men's Room, when you could dance to his music,
but before long you couldn't move in that damn place.  I would park my
car and find the place because it looked like it was on fire, with all
the steam pouring out the open windows at night.  So Dirty Dirty House
is like the neighborhood get down party every Thursday.  (Check the
lady bartender for the killer cocktails.)  I had a feeling the Maestro
after party could be a little "general public" but went there
after-hours, and thank the little lord Jesus, Marques Wyatt was still
playing like the God he is, and it was beautiful.  Then Friday night I
escaped a kinda fun party at the Hollywood Renaissance Hotel that had
clock radio cd players with Madonna for music.  The rooms were cool
enough with adjoining suites on the concierge floor (at the top), but I
could see Free Thinking going on only blocks away and ran out...getting
there just in time to dance to Stevie in the patio by candle-light with
the lovely Sara (wearing her tiara just above the bosom, all sparkly
like), and hanging with Juan Hoerni (who's going to kick ass with David
Harness next Friday there).  Saturday I was hoping to see Little Chris
at Wax, but he was in England, so of course, Juan Nunez spun me into
the next dimension, that soulful one where all is one, one nation under
the groove.  Every single time I've heard Juan, for I don't know how
long, he doesn't make a mistake.  It's as good as it gets.  (He's
coming to King King soon, 4/19?)  (And Heading Home after that.)
Anyway, the lights were on for a while (Onionz - yes) before I got
chased out.  Then, tonight.  Holy Shit.  Little Louie Vega, Elements of
Life and Marques Wyatt at House of Blues.  Dynagroove people, I've
danced with you, for those of you that didn't make it, don't miss it
again.  That was our party.  And it was definitely too short.  But in
two hours and some minutes my jeans were wet to the ankles.  (I'm not
proud, just purified.)  It was what I imagine Mardi Gras in Rio would
be like.  And Louie's married to Blaze?!  Wow, he deserves it!   It was
a gorgeous night, the live groove to the music you love.  When the room
seems to contain most of the major talent dj's in town (I tried not to
sweat on Tony, Marques, Lillyanne and Leonard (do they get sweeter than
that?), Juan, Scott K - I forgot how handsome that guy is...), you know
you're at the right place at the right time.  And an aside to Becky:
you inspired me at the $5 Dolla Funk and same thing tonight - so fine.
And while I'm finally writing something, $5 Funksters, that was some
good times - Thanks.