[Dynagroove] Re: is DJing a disease?

Will Yardley i&8342930 at hq.newdream.net
Mon Feb 9 17:26:14 PST 2004

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 04:13:59PM -0800, Birdie Beaks wrote:
> splat quoted:

> > "2) A DJ who doesn't dance is like a writer who doesn't
> > read."

> hell yeah!!
>
> I know that was Cade I saw doin' backflips on the dancefloor.  Love
> it!  I always answer the question, "why did you become a dj" with
> the answer "because I love to dance."  And that's the truth!  Any dj
> that's too cool to dance is too cool for me...

I don't think it's a matter of being too cool...
I became a DJ in the first place *because* I can't dance...

Anyway, I think that djing is a little like learning a lot about
anything else (film, music, whatever) - you're a lot pickier about the
type of music you enjoy once you're analyzing every little sound, and
it becomes a lot harder to just let go and enjoy it.

Personally, I only dance if I'm very drunk and / or if the DJ is
*MAKING* me dance... i.e., not just playing good music, but playing
music that makes it impossible for me not to dance. Admittedly I don't
get out a lot these days, but there are very few DJs who really do it
for me in that way.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."