[Dynagroove] some info on the djs at Tropical this saturday

Ben Annand mrannand at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:29:00 PST 2004

Hello again,

Just wanted to give some background on the djs playing at Tropical this
Saturday, we're really excited about the lineup and here's why you should be
too:

ROOM ONE - HOUSE

Dj Del Costa is the top dj in Portugal, extremely famous all over Portugal
and Spain and with the skills to back it up.  He has recently released a
couple of noteworthy records, one for the very prestigious Brique Rouge
label, run by David Duriez in France.  Del Costa was probably the most loved
of all the guest djs we brought in 2003, he played at the May Tropical (pics
at www.tropical-house.com/51703/start.htm).  His music is extremely dance
floor friendly and his mixing is flawless.  Del Costa was featured on
Tropical House Volume 15.

Set time: 12:30-2:00

Dj Grobas makes his first appearance at Tropical this month, but his
partner, Ino, was here for the April 2003 Tropical.  He and Ino run the top
club in Northern Spain, the House Cafe, and also a record label, House Cafe
Music.  Grobas will start a sub-label in 2004.  As a dj, he has a very
unique sound, beyond that I will leave it a surprise.

Set time: 2:00-3:30

Mark E Quark has been one of the top djs on the West Coast since we've had a
scene here.  He became a Tropical resident dj in 2003, after many guest
appearances for us.  There isn't any dj that sounds like Mark E Quark, and
that's what we love about him.  That and his impeccable mixing skill of
course.  Mark has been featured on Tropical House Volumes 7, 10, and 16.

Set time: 3:30-5:30+

Ben Annand founded Tropical in 1998, after collaborating for 2 years with a
group called Planet 9.  Known as Mr. Annand owing to his days as a
high-school substitute teacher, he has played at all 25 Tropicals to date.
However, only in the last year did he become completely comfortable working
the decks at his own party - this comfort level is reflected in the live at
Tropical mixes featured in Volume 11, 14, 17, and 18 of the Tropical House
series.  Tropical House Volume 1, 3, 4, and 6 also included studio mixes
from Mr. Annand before he began to favor the live format.

Set time: 10:00-12:30

ROOM TWO  - CHILL

Headliners from New York - can't say much but rest assured they are at the
top of their field.  They are here for another event and will be doing a
special afterhours session for us.

Set time: 2:30-5:00

Theory is part of the Open Minds Collective and one of L.A.'s up and coming
star djs.  He is booked increasingly in L.A. and out-of-town as he brings a
unique flavor to an event.  Equally adept at house and downtempo/hip-hop,
this time we will be hearing an extended set of the latter from him.  Theory
has appeared at Tropical once before, in January 2003.

Set time: 12:00-2:30

J. Nautilus is part of Heartbeat Sound and an all-around great guy.  He will
make his first appearance at Tropical this month, opening the room with an
ambient set.  Johnny promises to bring us something special to set the tone
for the night

Set time: 11:00-12:00

We really hope you'll join us this Saturday for what promises to be an
exceptional night of music and fun.  We hear a lot about people wanting to
hear new talent - if you're someone who craves that you should be at this
party.  At the same time there is enough familiar here to please the
skeptics.  We're also very excited to be featuring international talent once
more - when this happens Tropical becomes not only a party but a true
cultural exchange.  Our djs are not put up in fancy hotels but stay with us
and are actively hosted and shown around California and Oregon.  They leave
feeling more like they've found a new family than just come over the pond
for a few gigs.  It's a special experience and a very special time for all
of us...  We hope you'll join us in this celebration of cultural diversity,
rather timely that we will kick off the year on Martin Luther King Jr,
weekend as well...

No work or school on Monday so be sure and spent the middle of your weekend
at...

Tropical

WWW.TROPICAL-HOUSE.COM/11704/11704.htm

See ya there!