[Dynagroove] weekend reviews????

Eros Mendoza eros at moontribe.org
Wed Jul 6 23:43:01 PDT 2005

Партия твердый младший сын!
Сокр партия животный!
Пический сила!

-Eros

-----Original Message-----
From: dynagroove-bounces at dynagroove.com
[mailto:dynagroove-bounces at dynagroove.com] On Behalf Of Ben Annand
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 2:57 PM
To: dynagroove at dynagroove.com
Subject: Re: [Dynagroove] weekend reviews????

My weekend started Thursday night, where I played for the magic 10th time at

the Propaganda Club in Moscow.  This is one of the most solid nights in the
world, and last week was no exception.  This time my brother came all the
way from Minnesota to travel in Russia with me for a week, which made it
special.  I recorded the set and should have it up on the Tropical site,
along with pictures, by early next week...  See Propaganda's web site (and
note that Tropical resident Mark E Quark will be making his first
apprearance there on July 21) at:

http://propagandamoscow.com

Friday night I went to Orenburg, 2 hours flight East of Moscow plus another
2 hours time difference (totaling 13 from L.A.)  Apparently I was the first
U.S. Dj to play in this city (pop. 700,000) near the base of the Ural
mountains, so they made kind of a big deal of it with limos, press
conference, etc.  Not really my style but it was fun, esp. since my brother
was with me.  The gig itself was quite strange, combining performances which

crossed the lines of fashion show, strip tease, weird costumes, firedancers,

glasswalker, and foam party.  Sometimes in more remote places where there is

not much exposure to dance music and culture you find these attempts to make

it into a big show rather than a good old dance party.  Overall though, it
was highly entertaining and I can't wait to see some of the video my brother

took there, he promised to get me a copy soon.  If you have a few minutes to

spare waiting for your browser to load, check out the also highly amusing TV

spot they did for me in Orenburg at:

http://www.tropical-house.com/orenburg.avi

On Saturday the promoter in Orenburg hired a car to take us to Magnitigorsk,

about 170 km away.  The driver seemed to have little clue where he was going

as he drove much of the time at close to 170km/hr yet took 5 hours to get us

there just the same.  In fairness we did stop for about an hour for a swim
in  a river we passed by, which was quite nice...

We arrived to Magnitigorsk around 8pm and got some rest before the club that

night.  I was taken to the club around midnight and had a few minutes before

starting my set, during which I was informed that many djs wanted to come to

Magnitigorsk as it had a reputation for very good clubs.  I found this to be

true, the club lacked performers and foam but instead had a really good
dance vibe, nice sound and setup, etc.  Definitely ranked among my favorite
Russian cities and hope to go back there someday.

Now I am back in Moscow but getting ready to fly tomorrow night to Sahalin,
which is the island north of Japan.  Actually this island was once part of
Japan but became Russian after WW2.  I'll be interested to see how
influenced by Japanese culture it is.  Less interesting will be another 10
hour flight and 10 hours time change -  I feel like I just overcame jet lag
and diving right back in again.  In any case, I will be sure to take lots of

pictures and will be able to post a portfolio of my Russia trip by early
next week.

Well that's my weekend review from Russia!  Sounds like it was a fun weekend

in L.A. too... Have a rocking summer and I will send news periodically from
the other side of the globe...

Ben