[Dynagroove] HI Weekend. not high. or hello. human interaction.

aaron at tohzt.com aaron at tohzt.com
Tue Jun 28 12:55:59 PDT 2005

This past weekend was one of the best all around.  It was like a party
public service triathlon that started on Friday and continued till after
midnight on Sunday.  My body and brain are now at least partially
recovered so I can try to recount it in words.

But first, I must publicly thank my partner in crime, the girl i HATE the
most, the one and only Sara Schmidt.  Now, anyone that knows her knows
that she is a queen in every sense of the word.  Her self declared HIGH
MAINTENANCEness is real at times.  But on the same note, you can always
count on Sara to be there for you when you need her.  I needed her this
weekend, particularly on Saturday, and she was there for me from
remembering to bring sliced cucumbers for a mid day snack to making a mix
cd that had Paul Johnson's Doo Wap on it.  Sara, I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And now, just one more important thing before the useless banter and
glamourized opinions continue.....musical homework:

Scandal Inc- That's a good look. (coco machete)  Jack steps out of the
closet and into the electro grind.  Beware: Cade might be an undercover
electro for playing this both on Friday at Freethinking and at the Meet N
Greet.  I know I've been accused of being an undercover
electro..hmm..maybe I am.

Ying Yang Twins- The Whisper Song (white/cdr?)  Bobby Valentine played a
nice version of this at the tail end of the Meet N Greet.  The beats were
hizot, but the whispers were very low and they sampled the radio edit
which cleanly says "Wait till I show you this."  You know I like it
dirrrrrty and want to hear the phrase "WAIT TILL YOU SEE MY DICK!"
instead.

OK.

Friday at Freethinking was fun as hell.  The house dance floor is set up
proper and has a good feel.  I like that people can chill around the
perimeter in the booths and make the dancefloor feel insulated.  I really
enjoyed Miles' set.  It stayed true and funky all night and the music
never lost the crowd's interest.

Now, a head's up........if you pay with a Skank Of American (BOA) card at
Casey's beware that they will charge you double your tab.  This freaked me
out and I called them about it yesterday, ready to fight, and the manager
told me that their card system is weird and that it appears as double for
authorization on BOA cards but that only the correct amount will be
charged.  I checked my BOA today and he was right.  So, if this happens to
you, don't freak out.  JUST GET READY for JT DONALDSON next week.  You
know he has been cooking up some nice treats that he is ready to slap in
your face.

Saturday was EDC.  The question I heard most about "how edc was" was if
there were alot of "kids."  Well, yes, duh....  But, the cool part was
that to every 4 "kids" at EDC, there was one "parent" or freeze dried
raver in a crazy costume.  It's easy to chuckle at but impossible for me
to hate on the big raves.  Everyone had their way "in" to finding what
kind of music they like to groove to and "raves" were mine.  Seeing kids
who probably BEGGED their parents to let them go to EDC or felt humiliated
by the fact that their parents said yes as long as the parents came with
them makes you really realize that the best thing about the big raves is
that they are important musical portals.

People try to hate on sponsorship and I'm on the fence, but a true fact is
that big parties like EDC let music reach MORE PEOPLE.  MORE PEOPLE know
who the Bodyrock DJs are because of this year's EDC.  MORE PEOPLE are able
to have "moments" or "feel it" or "let loose" "let go" "hear their
favorite dj" ...whatever.  If I have to slap a COCA COLA banner on the
wall so that more people can be appealed to, accomodated, and serviced, I
think I would.  As a promoter, I think I'd feel better about myself with
the COCA COLA banner on the wall then having the party be sponsored by
SHADES THE DRUG DEALER, that's for sure.

Anyway, most of Saturday for me was spent working in the hot sun.  We
processed about 3,000 people and got to see every character you would
expect to see from the cracked out mom to the club kid in platforms to the
candy kid with bracelets up to the beginning of his shoulders.  I finally
went into the party about 11:30 in hopes to hear Jurassic 5, but I got
sidetracked by Doc.  What I heard of his set was fucking WICKED.  He was
totally on it.  The last 4 tracks he played were just....dirrrty.  I was
dancing and had that moment were I lost control of my body and just let
the music take over.  I need at least one of those per party.  GET YOURS
AT THE NEXT SUBLEVEL!!!!  After Doc, I went and flirted with the girl on
the backdrop in the Fresco tent (hahahahahahahahahahah!) and then went to
one of the big rooms.  I trudged to the frontish and realized it was The
Crystal Method method.  I'm not much into them, but THE LAST 30 OF THEIR
SET WAS HOT!  Very eclectic.  I heard a dope electro/techno cover of New
Order's Bizarre Love Triangle.  LOOK FOR IT!

Next on in that room was Ferry Corsten.  I stayed in the room for the
first two tracks to be diplomatic, but what I heard made me almost run for
the exit.  TRANCE!  I started to notice people's eyes rolling back into
their heads all around me and the stench of vix became unusually
nauseating.  I started to walk back to the front to tear down the tent and
pack all the stuff when I swear I saw Sara passed out under a tree with a
sucker stuck in her hair, but I went closer and realized it wasn't her.

The final event in our Human Interaction Weekend began Sunday at noon.
The alarm woke me up and I was totally considering punking out and
sleeping the entire day.  But, I didn't and we made it to Theory's house
about 4.  When we first got there I was sort of nervous to be social.  But
then I relaxed and started reviewing the "fun facts" I had memorized for
use in random conversation.  The patron saint of toothaches in St
Appolonia. (fun fact)

The pool was great.  I met a bunch of people that I had not before and got
to know ones that I already new on another level.  Great conversations!
The only thing that I was uneasy about at the Meet N Greet is that I was
worried that I was having TOO MUCH FUN dancing around and acting a fool.
The Meat N Greet DJ award for me goes to Bobby Valentine.  He's definitely
got a bag full of stuff that you want to hear.  Trust.  Thanks and cheers
to everyone who met and greeted and made it possible.

aight, time to use the xeorox and play the dictophone.  party on.

<3

A-ron
(dances to no music and flirts with photos of girls on backdrops)