[Dynagroove] Dynagroove in Review

Amy Ricketts amyr at dynagroove.com
Sun Apr 6 21:24:04 PDT 2008

THE LOVE, THE LOVE, THE LOVE!

Last night's Dynagroove 9 Year Anniversary Party was all about the love.

I can't remember the last time I saw people looking so genuinely HAPPY to
be at a party.

I arrived around 11:30 to a surprisingly already full venue. I guess
people were really fired up about getting a free Diz cd or something!
(It's awesome, by the way.  Thanks Cade!)

I was so pleased to see so many faces that I haven't seen in such a long
time. There was a STRONG Orange County (Or "O-Sizzle", as Cocoe called it
;) presence last night, thanks to Natural Rhythm and Jamie Thinnes being
on the bill.  Everywhere I looked, people were smiling, hugging, clapping,
woo-hooing, shaking hands, and just gettin their groove on.

I missed Cade's set (again.  Sorry Cade) but was excited to hear Jamie at
an earlier time than usual. He usually closes the night, and in those wee
hours, his wonderfully smooth sets mellow me out a little too much, so
that I can't keep my body moving.  So I was excited that he was playing
early when I could give him my full attention. Jamie's midtempo, smooth,
seamless style was perfect for that time of the night.  He got me moving,
warmed up, and ready!  Great set, Jamie. :)

I had been dancing in the back, but as soon as Natural Rhythm came on, I
made my way straight to the front. If you were in the back, I have to say
that you really missed the connection these guys had with the crowd.  I am
not sure who was having more fun, the dancers or them!  Pete and Thomas
looked SO DAMNED HAPPY back there doing their thing, their energy was SO
CONTAGIOUS!  There was this constant stream of  energy and love going back
forth across the equipment... I can't remember the last time I witnessed,
much less participated in such a frenzy of positivity.  Pat on the guitar
and trumpet just blew my mind.  That guy is an incredible musician.  Poor
Cocoe was stashed behind the speakers on percussion, but he was still
doing his thing, smiling away. And Sandra's voice sounded smoother than
ever.  Altogether, an amazing set.

During Natural Rhythm's set, I made a bunch of new friends on the
dancefloor, for the first time in a long time. You guys are awesome and I
can't wait to dance with you again.

Cade's little "speech" after Natural Rhythm seriously choked me up a
little bit.  It has been such an honor to be a part of Dynagroove since
the very first party, and such a joy to be part of a dance community that
is so good to each other. Sure, there will always be some problems here
and there between promoters, DJs, etc., but that's all part of any
business.  Cade is really right that it's all about the PEOPLE in LA that
make our community so strong.  You guys are the SHIZ!!

After Natural Rhythm, I worked the door for about the fist hour of
Jamanta's set. When I returned to the dancefloor, people were still going
strong!  The most accurate description of Jamanta's set was coined by
previous Dynagroove DJ Nonfiction: "heavy".  It was just that.  Heavy, and
just plain good. I have to say that my favorite part of Jamanta's set was
watching Jose and Missy dancing together.  They were both SO INTO the
music, and at the same time SO IN TUNE with each other.  It was really
precious to witness.  You two are my absolute favorite couple in the Los
Angeles house community.  I love the love!!!

And of course, closing out the night was our favorite resident DJ and
notorious ass-grabber, the one and only Diz.   I have to say that I was so
exhausted by the time he went on that I didn't have enough energy to
really dance like I wanted to.  He played some seriously deep, and bangin
cuts, many of which were new to me.  New stuff from Miami perhaps?   Was
that a new remix of "It's Yours" or just one I'd never heard before?
Either way, I LIKED IT.  Good stuff.

I don't know how long Diz played, as I could only last until about 5... I
am sure as long as there were people moving on the dancefloor, he was
still bangin 'em out.

I can't begin to really relate what a fantastic time I had last night. I
have been getting this feeling lately that people are REALLY ready to make
the summer of 2008 the BEST summer for House Music that Los Angeles has
ever seen.  I am willing and ready to do whatever I can to help make that
happen.  I know you are too.

A MILLION thanks to the one and only Cah-day for holding it together for
NINE EFFING YEARS and pulling off the best party LA has seen in a long
time.  Bravo my friend.

xoxo
Amy Ricketts