[Dynagroove] Solid Gold 2010 review

Zack Hill zack at vinyltribe.com
Mon Mar 29 15:31:02 PDT 2010

I'm not even sure I've recovered enough yet to write my review but I
wanted to get it done before the glow started to wear off..

I usually set aside tracks here and there throughout the year that I think
will be good for Solid Gold, and then spend a couple weeks in March going
through my whole collection and pulling out requests and the jams, then
I'm pretty much set. This year we got a lot of requests during the final
week which was nice, so I tried to mark as many as I could to try and work
into my sets.

I was floored when I saw the venue.. Cade had done it again! This was
going to be awesome! We had a fairly easy setup and then headed home for a
quick bite to eat, shower, and right back to the venue.

Cade started things off nicely at 10pm sharp (we're never late!) with a
nice deep set of some good vocals. Amy Ricketts made good on her promise
and arrived early, along with a good sided group of people. Before I knew
it it was 10:45 and I was up. I hadn't given my first set much thought,
other than I wanted to stay away from a few of the tracks I seem to play
every year in that slot, which made for a bit of a rocky start for me. I
found my groove by the 3rd or 4th track and off we went! By the time
Cade's 2nd set was going, the place had filled up quite nicely. I turned
on the huge fans we had setup and made the rounds to see how things were
going..

To my surprise, I peeked into our downstairs restroom and saw water
spouting up in the air from the back of the toilet! Luckily Sandy was
nearby and WENT TO WORK on it, in a frenzy, and after asking only for a
PAPERCLIP (i'm not making any of this up), she had it fixed, drained, and
offered me a survival tip to boot! (It's safe to drink the water out of
the back reservoir in the event of a natural disaster). Sandy you ROCK!
After that minor fiasco it was time to get back on the decks..

My second set was a blast, and Cade had gotten the place packed from front
to back with dancers, singers (Paris!), and whistlers.. I soaked through
my shirt and had to do a quick change after I finished up with this one!

The rest of the night was just awesome. Jam after jam after jam, including
quite a few I hadn't heard at a Solid Gold before. Lots of familiar faces,
and some new ones as well all smiles, and having the time of their lives!
(Some got so carried away they even tried to get in on the action......!)

The venue never got too hot (It was hot, but it was a good hot), and
before I knew it it was 4am, the lights came on, and as promised, for her
last Solid Gold before moving out of LA, Amy got Fonda Rae from start to
finish!

I look forward to this party every year as it's such a simple concept that
ends up being one of the most fun parties I'm a part of. Thank you to each
and every one of you that attended and helped make this such a fun event!!

I know it's said every year, but I really do think we need to make this a
twice-annual event ;) (but keep it on a Saturday night!)

-Zack