[Groop] Edward Gorey passes away (OT)

Mo orst m00rst@hotmail.com
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:39:22 PDT

>He also did many of the illustrations in John Bellairs books.  It was one
>of
>the attractions of the set for me even though they are set for "young
>readers" (sort of Goosebumps/gothic tales).

Interesting... that was my first exposure to Edward Gorey.  "The Figure In
The Shadows" continues to be one of my all-time favorite books, and Gorey's
illustrations from that series haunt me even now.  Very sad news indeed.

His work has had a profound influence on my pen and ink illustrations.  I've
always considered him a sort of dark Dr. Seuss.  I think my favorite Gorey
book is "The Insect God".  Very grim.

How odd that he died on the "ides of March"!

-moorst