[Groop]OT: Weird Tales / R.E. Howard.

the Knight Who Says Cheesedip sorath666@geocities.com
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:34:15 +0200

At 15:12 21.06.00 -0700, you wrote:
>A friend of mine is looking to get some of the original Robert E. Howard
>Conan  stories printed in Weird Tales from the '40s.  Ebay doesn't seem
>to have many of them.  Does anybody know of any online sources that have
>a decent selection?
>
>Thanks folks!
>
>Ruben.

Check out this tribute to weird tales:
http://members.aol.com/weirdtales/index.htm
it lists some collectors who are willing to part with their issues under
"more info". However, I would not advise to do so, since these are probably
expensive. Only a dozen or so collections of the original weird tales run
is known to exist, and those collection are deteriorating rapidly, as the
cheap pulp paper (thus pulp litterature or fiction) that the magazine was
printed on does not age very well. The stories are better read as part of
an anthology, which I am sure is available due to the popularity of Robert
E. Howard's writing.

When we're on the subject, I'll just throw out a suggestion for the summer
reading list, one of Howard's contemporaries, closests friends and
litterary role-models the oft overlooked Howard Phillips Lovecraft.
Anything by this litterary genious (whose tales also haunted the Weird
Tales magazine) is a damned good read. Read and shiver. I could go on and
on about this materialistic master of the macabre, and extraordinary
autodidactic. But I'll spare you... I'm in a definite Lovecrafitan, Weird
tales, sort of mood this summer.... i'll go but on some depressing music
and light some candles now, and leave you alone for a while... but I'll be
back with another hot reading tip... ;-)

The Knight Who Says Cheesedip

P.S. IA! IA! Shub Niggurath!
P.P.S. Collect call from C'thulhu... do you accept the charges?
P.P.P.S. Cheesedip! The Great old ones wants CHEESEDIP!

"Our museum was a blasphemous, unthinkable place, where with the satanic
taste of neurotic virtuosi we had assembled an universe of horror and decay
to excite our jaded senses"
Howard Phillips Lovecraft, the Hound.