[Groop] I remember...

Finn Smith mulch3@hotmail.com
Wed, 03 May 2000 19:28:25 PDT

Regarding the Simonson quote:
Good composition requires that not every element of an image be treated
equally.  Too much detail in any area that isn't the main focus of the piece
usually works against the readibility of the art.  This is true of most art
such as comics, cartoon animation, and illustration.  Some of my peers find
the work of, say, an Aragones or Wrightson too "busy" and thus difficult to
view (I don't agree with those particular cases but I can certainly see
their point)  An experienced artist knows how to direct a viewers eye and
good compositon/design is oftentimes more difficult to learn than good
draftsmanship.
This is not to say that you should draw less skillfully anything that is not
your main focus--just know where to concentrate your efforts.

finn