[Groop]Groop Summer Reading List

SheikOfEntropy@aol.com SheikOfEntropy@aol.com
Sun, 21 May 2000 22:53:21 EDT

"One has to do idiot things from time to time, if only to assure oneself that
one is a human being and not a robot."
-Evan Tanner, the hero of Lawrence Block's TANNER'S TWELVE SWINGERS

Yeah, I know, people usually END their email with a quote, but this is sort
of relevant to the topic: The Groop Summer Reading List!

Okay, I know it's not quite summer yet, but this is supposed to prepare us
for summer reading, dig?

The idea is simple:

1) Suggest a book, series of books, comic book (single issue, graphic novel
or series) or other reading material that you believe the average Groo reader
would enjoy AND that you think most of the Groop is likely to be unfamiliar
with. Stick with ONE suggestion, because forty people suggesting a dozen
books each will probably mean none of us will get around to reading ANY of
the suggestions. Right?

2) Give a brief synopsis, WITHOUT SPOILERS PLEASE, with just enough detail to
suggest the basic premise of the book and entice our curiosity.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!

Let's make a concerted effort to actually READ each other's picks, and send
PRIVATE critiques to each other. I stress PRIVATE so that we avoid SPOILER
situations.

Stuff like Stan's USAGI YOJIMBO, Mark's DNAGENTS, Sergio's BUZZ & BELL or
even popular madcap fare such as THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY,
although excellent choices, are a bit obvious. Let's get obscure, and really
dig up some old favorites and toss out new treats to enjoy.

I'll start by suggesting Lawrence Block's EVAN TANNER series of short novels.

Originally published in the 1960s, they are WONDERFULLY dated, and should be
read in the order of publication (to follow) to get the most out of them.
Block likes to collect minor recurring characters along the way, and often
references events from previous installments in a humorous way.

Series Synopsis:

Evan Michael Tanner is a Korean War Veteran who had a piece of shrapnel slice
away his brain's sleep center. Tanner, thus, is physically unable to sleep,
and is awake 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Talk about INSOMNIA!!!

He meditates to rest his body and mind, and fills his abundant spare time
learning languages, writing other people's doctoral theses for fun and
profit, and joining lost causes, revolutionary cells and subversive groups
from around the globe.

(NOTE: some of what Block considered a lost cause in the 1960s - like a
Soviet-free Serbia, has come to pass. I guess truth IS stranger than fiction.
He even predicted the kind of strife and infighting such freedom would likely
cause).

Then there's The Chief, head of a super-secret American Spy Agency, a
competitive rival of the CIA, who mistakenly believes Tanner is one of his
agents, and keeps trying to send him on missions that Tanner wants no part of.

Very funny stuff! The series goes as follows:

The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep (1966)
The Canceled Czech
Tanner's Twelve Swingers
Two For Tanner