[Groop] Wow!

RABuswell@dstsystems.com RABuswell@dstsystems.com
Fri, 26 May 2000 10:48:03 -0500

Good points.  I think the key to performing Groo fights is that no matter
what the reason, they should be funny.  If he slips and kills someone, or
if he deliberately runs a person through, it should be funny.  Once the
fight becomes serious, the charm of Groo is gone.

The justification of his skill is less important than the fact that we
should laugh throughout his fights.  It's easier to choreograph a moron
accidentally killing someone for laughs, than it is to choreograph a
swordsman of great skill killing someone with the same reaction.
Especially when that swordsman is as slow of mind as Groo.

I think back on "The Princess Bride" and remember the fun of those fights.
The fight on the cliff was one of the most entertaining cinematic
swordfights in recent memory, but it was not Groo.  There was enormous
skill employed, but Groo couldn't pull it off, because that scene requires
intelligence on the part of both swordsmen.

However, the scene in the hallway, when Inigo Montoya encounters Count
Rugen and an armed guard, works for Groo as well.  Groo would dispatch the
guards as easily as Inigo did.  What makes that work so well is the Count's
subsequent reaction (running away).

Groo script for that scene:

Count Rugen: (to guards) Kill him!

_Guards attack, Groo deftly kills them as they pass._

Groo:  Am I not mad at you for something?

_Count Rugen runs away._

Groo:  What did Richard mean, "slow of mind"?

_Groo goes in search of cheese dip_

Richard Buswell
http://www.kcstage.com
http://www.naughtynobles.com
http://www.geocities.com/rabuswell

SheikOfEntropy@aol.com on 05/25/2000 08:50:24 PM
How about the style of fighting from MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL, where
King Arthur fights the Black Knight. Wonderfully awkward battle!!!

<snip>

Hmmm, if you REALLY want inspiration for a GROO battle scene, start
watching
THE THREE STOOGES!!!

-Larry Steller AKA The Sheik Of Entropy