[Groop]NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

Gary Grossmann grossfam@olywa.net
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:55:20 -0800

Okey Dokey (an old AMERICAN expression)  I couldn't let this go without a
completely incoherent, and therefore thoroughly American response:

Rather than showing that our independence should be revoked, the current
presidential impasse shows that we are independent enough to get along
without a president! ("We don't need no stinkin' president") And it shows
our communal wisdom in not wanting either of the two possibilities to be
president any sooner than is absolutely necessary!

Furthermore, we would never submit to the leadership of a British woman who
wears such outrageous hats  (although we might have considered Joan Collins
20 years ago.) And although Tony Blair's accent is not as bad as Trent
Lott's, I still can't see us taking seriously a guy who sounds like an
escapee from the cast of Mary Poppins.  As for English, there are more of us
than there are of you and so in the great American tradition of majority
rules (except in the occasional presidential election) you are out voted and
our version of English rules.  And yuse bedda not mess wit us about it, as
my New York friends would say, or, as my southern friends would say, we will
whup up sida da head!

As to sports, I think you should go right up to the defensive line and
linebackers of any NFL team-or to any high school in Texas for that matter,
and tell them to their faces that they don't play football.  That would be
entertaining.  Look, we like our pumped-up-on-steroids-head-case behemoths
running around trying to dislocate each others jock straps.  We find them
more entertaining than the juiced-up-on-amphetamines-head-case male soccer
players.  And when we do get excited about soccer, we have the goods sense
to watch women play it, some of whom take their tops off without us even
having to ask!

I do like the idea of declaring war on France and Quebec.  I guess I can't
blame them for speaking a language that has a built-in snotty tone, but
you'd think they could show a little gratitude for us bailing them out of
two world wars.  Their problem is they peaked out as a world power about 500
years ago and as a cultural center 200 years ago, and they just can't stand
it!!!  And if we included Quebec, we could make Celine Dion a prisoner of
war.  A Diva should be big-nosed pushy multi-talented Jewish woman from New
York or a black woman from the south with a strong gospel background and a
range of musical emotion that just won't quit, not some twinky french chick
who moves like a Disney robot and married a man three times her age with
apparent pedophilic tendencies.

But I digress.

Just remember, as Bill Murray said in Stripes, our ancestors were kicked out
of every respectable country in the world.  We are everybody's wretched
refuse come washing up on our teaming shore and since then we have kicked
ass!!!  (sometimes our own)  And no doubt someday we will not be the 500lb.
economic gorilla on the block and, well, as long as the new one isn't
France, I'm sure we'll deal with it the way everyone else does.  (We'll
whine and moan and gnash teeth and rend garments.  If it's France, we'll
just kill ourselves.)

So stick that in your tea & crumpets and smoke it!  (but don't inhale)

Take care -Gary G. (unabashed nationalist and immigrant from Zoltron-where
we atomize our wretched refuse)

PS  The JFK comment got me thinking.  It happened 37 years ago and you said
you have been waiting for the answer for 40 years.  Hmmm.  I smell a new
conspiracy theory.....