[Groop]Gary Learns About Scanners

Gary Grossmann grossfam@olywa.net
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 22:40:31 -0700

Hi Folks!

OK, so I'm trying to learn how to work with the scanner and here is what I
think I've figured out.  Please correct me if I'm all screwed up.

I'm using Adobe Photoshop 5.5.  My monitor is set for 1162 x 864 pixels.  (I
have no idea why) I'm saving things in jpeg.  I save things at 100%  size.
When I save them and it asks what Image Options Quality I want I set it at 6
(out of 12) because I couldn't see any difference with the higher numbers
and they take a lot more KBs.

Under these circumstances, a photo that has been edited down to about 4" x
3" is way too small on my screen for my taste when I set the pixels for 72.
When I set it for 150 pixels (the default)  it's a much better size, still
sharp, and it takes up only 68KBs.  However, when I do the same thing with a
7" x 5" Turkish comic book cover, it's way bigger than it needs to be to
look at on the screen.  So I changed that one to 72 pixels, it was a great
size for looking, at and used up 85KBs.

I think those are manageable sizes.  I sent poor Mark three scans of the
Turkish Groo before I halfway knew what I was doing and they totaled over
1MB, including over 250KB for the Turkish Groo cover!!
(Sorry Mark!)

So anywho, I sort of feel like I know what I'm doing and I'm going to send
scans of two photos to Daniel that will each take up 60-70 KBs.  Any  major
flaws in how and what I'm doing?  Thanks -Gary G.