[Groop]Groo is not a mass murderer

Mo orst m00rst@hotmail.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 12:48:35 -0800

I thought about this idea for awhile, and came to some ideas.

For Groo to be evil, his killing would have to include a dark element of
sadistic pleasure.  The way I've always thought of him was more as a force
of nature... an element to be avoided much like he's portrayed as the "hot
potato" in Groo: The Game.

I remember all those times where he charges into battle for no reason other
than "the fray!"  I think there may be a sadistic element to his character.
From one point of view, he may approach a battle as a beast he knows he can
pleasurably manipulate and annihilate.  He enjoys it.  He relishes in it.
He's slaughtered hundreds of thousands.

He has also, however, gone to war for noble purposes.  Like when he emerged
out of the burning library in issue 100, primed to punish the mindless
treasure seekers.  Much of the time, his battles have been at the wrong time
for the right reasons, and often for the wrong reasons for issues for which
he later had a change of heart.  In this he is a symbol or archetype for all
of us struggling to come to the right conclusions and struggling to fight
the right fight (so to speak), and it is not appropriate to refer to him as
a mass murderer.  He did after all live in a time of marshall law, and often
unjust dominion by magistrates and rulers.  Killing is a way of life in such
a world.

"Mass murder" seems more like a term for modern times.  We don't call
Ghengis Khan (sp?) or the Romans mass murderers.  We call them conquerors.
A mass murderer is more of a predator in an urban or suburban setting.  Not
a hungry vagrant skilled with swords who may or may not have a reason to
defeat an army.

Groo, as far as I can tell, usually doesn't kill anyone in a bar, for
example, unless he's insulted or challenged.  He doesn't hunt people down
and kill them without provocation, and he doesn't burn filled churches,
monestaries, or barns down with the intent to kill people.  He causes those
things on accident.

The sadism in his killing, I think, is more a result of a childish mind.
Many of us go through a "burning ants with a magnifying lense" phase of one
sort or another when we're children.  Often, as in my case, its a touch of
pyromania(look out Gary!).  Perhaps Groo is just a guy who never got over
that sort of thing.  He was low on positive male role models growing up
(orphanage owners and Toranto, for heaven's sake), and he was torn from a
loving mother who doubtless would have instilled in him a different morality
on the taking of life.

-Rock