[Groop]Groo statue update

Mark Evanier mail@evanier.com
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:01:13 -0700

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:37:05 -0700 (PDT), Larry Steller
<lawrencesteller@yahoo.com> wrote:

>During the Comic Con I spoke with a current DC Comics Artist
>about buying a COLOR ARTIST'S PRINTER'S PROOF of a recent issue
>of NIGHTWING from the OFFICER DOWN story arc. It's a very
>dramatic and touching cover that really spoke to me.
>
>The price for this Printer's Proof is $250. I was just wondering
>what you know of the printing process. Is what I'm buying a
>unique item (sort of like the original artwork in its uniqueness)
>or could there be many of these proofs floating around, and I'm
>really just buying a nice color printout? Does this sound about
>right?

ME: Well, since you asked it in front of everyone, I'll answer in
front of everyone...

The term "printer's proof" is meaningless with regard to the scarcity
and quality of an item.  It merely means that this was a special copy
run off before the full press run was done.  Usually, they are scarce
but there's no rule that says they couldn't have printed thousands of
copies for promotion purposes or to sell to people.  So it may or may
not be unique.

The price sounds high to me but I'm not really involved in that end of
the business much.

www.POVonline.com - a website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las Vegas, Hollywood,
Stan Freberg, Laurel & Hardy, Jack Kirby and possums in my backyard.