[Groop]International groo & 20th Anniversary Book

Gary Grossmann grossfam@olywa.net
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 21:30:03 -0800

Hi Folks!

Well, Larry, as anyone who watched any Olympic ice skating knows, Hackensack
is now the figure skating capital of the world.  All those skaters who are
supposedly from Russia and various other countries live and train there
(This is Hackesack New Jersey for crying out loud!) so it wouldn't surprise
me at all if some Yugoslavian Groos showed up.

I've been looking through a lot of Groo comics lately (the ones in English)
and it seems to me that the latter part of the Epic run is in many ways the
high water mark of the series.  Now this is like saying Mt. Everest is the
highest of the Himalayan mountains; all of them are pretty darned high and I
think I've made it pretty clear that I think all 150-Plus Groo publications
are the high water mark of Comic-dom.

But from Issue # 87-120, Sergio & Mark really had it cranked up.  We had an
issue every month, and each one was so loaded from cover to cover
(literally), it was truly amazing.  In addition to the main story and Groo
Grams, the inside cover had a one page Silly Sergio gag.   There were a
variety of 1-6 page short stories, a cool Sergio puzzle on the inside back
cover, and a Rufferto cartoon on the back cover.  And in the middle of that
we got Issue #100!  I don't know how they did all that and all the other
stuff they did every month without a miss.

So anywho, Mark, one more thing I'd like to see in the anniversary issue is
a sample of one of Sergio's puzzles from that period and also a sample of
one of the Silly Sergio gags.  I think they are great examples of Sergio's
boundless imagination and the way neither of you shy away from
self-deprecating humor if it will make your readers laugh.

Alright, enough lucidity, back to searching for Yugoslavian Groos.

Take care all -Gary G.