[Groop]Chuck McCann

Gary Grossmann garygroo@hotmail.com
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:58:03 -0700

Hi Folks!

Dredging up an old, long discarded Groop running gag:  I agree with Larry!!

I remember Chuck McCann when I was growing up in New Jersey!  He was great!
And I remember the Little Orphan Annie bit!  It was hilarious!!  He used to
open his show with a mock destructive entrance through the studio singing
either "Make 'em Laugh".  (I even won a sno-wing from his show)  He and
another actor also did a dead-on Laurel and Hardy routine that was great.
(Mr. McCann was Mr. Hardy of course.)  A number of years later I was quite
surprised to see him in "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter."  Now, of course, I'm
NOT surprised to have found out he's been doing voice acting forever and
Mark knows him, etc.

Mark, please tell Mr. McCann that there are many, many 40-50 year olds who
still have many, many fond memories of his show.

I also remember another kid show host named Sandy Becker.  He did a lot of
puppetry and could sound alot like Gary Owens when he wanted to.  He's the
first guy I ever saw do that upside down head puppet, you know, where the
puppeteer is lying on his back or something behind the curtain and his chin
is the head and his mouth is the mouth and the rest of the puppeteer's head
is the puppet's body.

Mark, have you ever heard of him and did he ever do any voice acting?

Anywho, Larry is right.  There is straight line from being a kid watching
creative and wonderfully silly kid show hosts and enjoying Groo as a
midle-aged man.  Take care all -Gary G.