[Groop]OT Re: POV art.

Mark Evanier mail@evanier.com
Thu, 09 May 2002 02:04:04 -0700

On Wed, 8 May 2002 21:08:22 -0700, "Gary Grossmann"
<grossfam@olywa.net> wrote:

>I read your little piece on Jack Benny giving credit to his writers and then
>the articles you provided a link to about the two writers chiefly
>responsible for creating the Benny persona.  What I'm not clear about is
>when did Benny start crediting his writers (obviously, it was after 1936 &
>Conn) and how long did it take for the rest of the world to catch up (under
>union demands or otherwise)?  Thanks -Gary G.

ME: They caught on over the following few years.  Union enforcement of
credits came in some time during the mid-forties.

>PS Off the wall question:  When a cartoon Jack Benny appeared in Sunday
>Batman comic for a few weeks in the mid 60's, would they have had to pay Mr.
>Benny or at least get his permission?

ME: Probably just get his permission.

>PS #2   Did  W. C. Fields write his own stuff?

ME: Fields wrote a lot of what he did but all his movies had other
writers involved.  They were often credited to one of his pen names
but that doesn't mean he wrote them by himself.
www.POVonline.com - a website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las Vegas, Hollywood,
Stan Freberg, Laurel & Hardy, Jack Kirby and possums in my backyard.