[Groop]Question for M.E.

Grood Grood@hotpop.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 15:14:20 -0600

So... The Death/Life Hardcover will be the size of the Death Graphic novel?

Thanks for going through that detailed explenation.

-----Original Message-----
From: groop-admin@groo.com [mailto:groop-admin@groo.com]On Behalf Of
Mark Evanier
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 4:08 PM
To: groop@groo.com
Subject: Re: [Groop]Question for M.E.

On Sat, 18 May 2002 09:44:17 -0600, "Grood" <Grood@hotpop.com> wrote:

>Is the signed hardcover death/life book going to be the same size as the
>trade paperbacks?
>I'm asking because in the end I am planning on using the Groo Bookends to
>hold all my Groo TPs.
>
>Just wondering if they will all be the same size.

>ME: No.  The hardcover has a larger page format.

Here's the way it works.  DEATH OF GROO was printed as an 8-1/2 by 11"
graphic novel.  Graphitti bought 1500 copies of the unbound insides of
that book when Marvel did the third (best) printing.  Graphitti
planned to wait until LIFE OF GROO was published by Marvel, buy 1500
copies of the insides of that and then bind them all together with
some new pages and bookplates and such.

Marvel, however, changed their mind and printed LIFE OF GROO in a
smaller, comic book format.  This killed Graphitti's plans since you
can't bind pages of different sizes together.  They just left the
DEATH OF GROO pages in their warehouse.

So Graphitti waited until Marvel's LIFE OF GROO had gone out of print
and then Graphitti printed a new paperback edition of LIFE OF GROO
and, while they were at it, ran off an extra 1500 copies of the
insides and stuck them in their warehouse.

They've waited until now to print the endpapers and bookplates and
such and now they're binding the 1500 copies of DEATH OF GROO's
insides with the 1500 copies of LIFE OF GROO's insides and that's
what's in the hardcover.  (A lot of copies get wasted in the binding
process but they'll wind up with 1000 copies of the book plus a
hundred or so of what they call "artist's proofs," which are the
copies Sergio and I get.)