[Groop]Moron, I mean more on comic values

Gary Grossmann grossfam@olywa.net
Sun, 26 May 2002 21:07:21 -0700

Hi Folks!

OK, here is my two cents. (and grossly overpriced at that, but you can have
it for $10.00 slabbed and graded at 9.9 with a signed certificate.)

In many ways I am sort of an outsider looking in on the whole comic book
scene.  The only comic I bought for years was Groo, and for the last 7 years
or so the only things I've added are Usagi Yojimbo and anything that Sergio
& Mark do.  So I was glad to read that Mark thought the CGC slabbing &
grading was as silly as it sounded to me because I kept thinking that maybe
it was just one more thing about comics that I really didn't understand.  (I
have a Groo license plate, I run around in a "Did I Err?" t-shirt & Groo
hat, and slabbing modern comics sounds silly to ME! Think about that for a
minute.)

I don't plan on ever selling my comics, so I don't care how much they are
alledgedly worth and I enjoy rereading them.   I take good care of them, but
I'm not like one person i met who bought one copy for keeping in mint, one
copy for trading in mint, and one copy for actually reading.

Most of what I have learned about comics I have picked up from Mark's
columns and site.  However, in my never ending search for all Groo
appearances, I've also been in pretty much every comic shop in state of
Washington, Portland, Oregon and a fair sampling of those up and down the
rest of the I-5 corridor.  And I have concluded there are basically two
kinds of comic shop owners, those in it because they love comics and those
in it for the money.  The former give you a fair deal and the latter won't.
It's that simple.

Fortunately for me, the owners of the two shops in my immediate area love
comics and they are great people so I buy my comics from them and also stuff
like special books and pvc figures so they can get a piece of what will cost
me the same regardless.  If they were assholes, I'd buy everything I could
through Mark's site and the rest direct from Dark Horse or some other online
seller.

And btw, if a fiance wants you to get rid of your comics (as a sign you are
ready to be a "grown-up" or whatever), dump her.  The Long Suffering Mrs. G.
knows that my Groo hobby helps me hold onto what little sanity I may have
left.  And she thinks its cool that I have nice friends all over the world.

Take care all -Gary G.

PS  How much is a slabbed Croation Groo worth?

PPS  How about a slabbed Groo License plate?

PPS  If Larry slabbed himself and we graded him 9.8, could he sell himself
for enough so that he could afford to go to San Diego?