[Groop]My new site for trading Groo Cards..

Josh 'Wet Exit' Jones josh@groo.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 05:18:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hey Grroooovy Groopers!

Long time no write, and I feel kind of bad coming back to just ask a favor
of you guys. But, hey, it's kinda like we're a big Internet family, and
that's what family's for, right?  Sure..

Anyway, here's the deal! I just finished up this website I've been
developing for a while which is basically a stock market for non-sport
trading cards. It works a bit like the Great Groo Trading Card Exchange
(which was part of the inspiration) but with many more invisible market
forces!

http://www.cardjones.com/ (catchy, eh?) is the site and the way it works
is people either mail cards in to us and then put them up for sale on the
site, or else buy cards directly from the site and have us mail them to
them. When you go to the site to buy a card, you're not buying them from
CardJones directly, you're buying them from some other "trader". So in a
way it's kind of a bit like ebay in that respect, but with some key
advantages!

1. There's no chance of getting ripped off (as a buyer or a seller). If
you're a buyer, we've already got the cards and know they're in NM
condition or better (otherwise we don't allow the sale of them). If you're
a seller, you get the money right away (we don't allow the buying of cards
unless the money goes through). We pay sellers out via paypal. CardJones
acts as a trusted third party on all transactions. We even insure all the
cards stored with us!

2. It's only for non-sports trading cards, so it's easier to use for that
and will hopefully eventually have a lot more card buyers and sellers at
any time than even ebay! It's also really focused towards having tools to
help complete a trading card collection.

3. Even if you don't buy or sell any cards at all you can enter your
collection into your CardFolio (TM) and track its "performance" like you
would stocks. Every time a card is bought or sold the "market price" of it
is updated to reflect the new transaction!

So what's going on right now?

Well, I need some people to try out the site and start using it so I can
get some feedback and bug-finding! So right now, it's up and going, but
the only card series available for trading is the Groo Trading Cards! I've
put my entire collection up (all 153 regulars and 3 Images of Groo cards)
to provide some initial fodder. Please check out http://www.cardjones.com/
and give it a shot! Even if you don't want to buy or sell any cards, you
can still create your "CardFolio" and track the "value" of your Groo
Trading Card collection online from now on!

Please please please email me at beta@cardjones.com (or use the contact
form on the site) with any problems, confusion, suggestions, or criticism
you have! Suggestions for which other trading card series you'd like to
see tradable for the launch would be really appreciated as well!

If nothing else, this is a quick and easy chance to complete your
Groo Trading Card collection at my expense!

In case you were wondering, this venture is completely separate from Mark,
Sergio, et all, though I do have Mark's blessing to go forward with it. It
doesn't formally take over the Great Groo Trading Card Exchange, but Mark
has indicated that he might be willing to put some cards from his personal
collection up in the future.

Anyway, thank you VERY very much for trying out the site, and maybe even
continuing to use it! I really do appreciate any feedback, and who knows,
maybe you'll be one of the first users ever on something that turns into
the next ebay! Or maybe even the next etoys!

Thanks,
josh!