[Groop]OT-Nigeria (sorry)/don't feel like the Lone Ranger...

Gary Grossmann grossfam@olywa.net
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:54:17 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_015F_01C29585.9AA838A0

Azamin, my friend!  (and onyone else who wants to read it)=20

Part of the problem, as far as understanding goes, is that the media in =
the USA primarily covers the extreme views because the so-called =
journalists will tell you that's what makes the best story. =20

So, for example, some extreme liberals will tell you that a woman who is =
forced to cover herself from head to toe is oppressed, as is a woman who =
is forced to stay home and raise kids.  These people are shocked and =
angry to find out that some women want to cover themselves from head to =
toe and some women want to stay home and raise children.  Their response =
is typically that such women have either been brianwashed or have =
"copped out." =20

Conversely, some extreme conservatives will tell you that a woman's =
place is in the home, period, the (Fill in the blank Holy book) says so =
and the root cause of most of the problems with society is women doing =
things other than having babies and obeying their husbands.  These =
people are shocked and angry  to find out that some women don't want to =
stay home and raise children.  Their response is typically that such =
women have been brainwashed by some vile outside influence. =20

But even if those conflicting views are all that the outside world =
hears, an overwhelming majority of Americans think both are wrong.  Most =
Americans think a woman should be able to dress the way she wants and =
pursue whatever life/career goals she has in the same way a man does.  =
That doesn't mean that everyone won't have an opinion-and voice that =
opinion.  During the same day the same woman might be criticized for =
dressing too provactively, not dressing "sharp" enough, not paying =
enough attention to her family, paying too much attention to her family, =
and trying to "have it all."  And she is left to sort all this out and =
make the decisions and choose what  is best for her.  (At least that's =
the theory.) =20

However, in SOME Moslem countries (I know Malaysia is not one of these) =
the women have no choices.  None. Zero Zip. Nada.  That's what bothers =
most Americans.  Sure maybe 90% want to be covered from head to toe, but =
what about the 10% that don't?  Here we have Christian denominations =
that basically demand that a woman just have babies and obey her =
husband.  And because of finances and education issues it might be very, =
very hard for a woman to get herself out of that situation if she wanted =
to.  But the point is that she could try without the morals police =
tracking her down and dragging her back to her husband.  Simlarly, she =
might be socially ostracized for cheating on her husband and some =
churches would even kick her out.  But the police wouldn't come grab her =
and throw her in jail to await execution. =20

That's the problem with any theocracy.  You have no free exchange of =
ideas. Most Americans can't get past that.  One tiny group imposes their =
theology, their moral beliefs, on everyone.  It just so happens that the =
only real theocracies in the world today (at least that I'm aware of) =
are Moslem theocracies.  But it would be the same no matter what =
religion it was.  400 years ago Salem Massachusetts was a little =
theocracy and they hung people as witches.  Imagine if Deuteronomy was =
the law of the land in Israel or Pat Robertson was president or dictator =
of the USA.  What if the Scientologists took over and John Travolta was =
president!  (A truly frightening thought!) =20

But....every country and every people have got to work on these things =
for themselves, whether they live under a repressive theocracy, a brutal =
dictatorship, or some thing else.  We've been working on how we do =
things for over 200 years and we've still got a lot of kinks to hammer =
out.=20

So there's my two cents worth.   While I was writing this the dog hate =
my hamburger. =20

Take care (and keep an eye on your hamburgers)  -Gary G. =20

  ----- Original Message -----=20