[Groop]re: OT Amina Lawal

Groosagi16@cs.com Groosagi16@cs.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:08:29 EDT

--part1_77.b86c7f.2aeac67d_boundary

In a message dated 10/25/2002 6:24:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
azamin7@medical-online.net writes:

--------->I know its off topic, but I have a few kopins to throw in.

> Firstly, Islam, which is differs from Christian, is not just a religion,
> but a way of life... means Islam covered everything involve in our daily
> life.. not just only in the praying.  This include how we do business,
> working, politics, implement laws, collecting Groo and others... And as
> a muslim, we have to do what God ask us to do like praying, working,
> implement His law, and all our daily activity (including reading Groo)
> according to His guideline.

-------------->Azamin, thank you for your information.  I believe such
presentation of different cultures is a positive thing, through which those
differing cultures can come closer together in spirit.  That said, I do have
a few comments.  I don't think the differentiation you made above is
substantive.  What I mean by that is ALL religions are "ways of life."
Christianity, for example, is not just about praying to God, or even
accepting Jesus as Christ.  Rather, IMO, the focus of Christianity is to do
the Christian thing.  That is, live your life as a Christian is tought to
live his life.  In other words, it is a way of life.  The same analysis with
any other religion, I am aware of, will come to the same result.

       The difference is that in must countries where Muslims are a majority,
the religion goes beyond that single aspect and goes on into the governance
of the country.  That is Muslim countries adopt religious law as secular law.
 In other words, in those countries Muslim law is not simply a way of life,
but a code which is enforced by the government.

I see, I believe, how and why you meld the two.

--------->Again, thank you for the information.

> Amina should name who the father/sex partner was (so that he too  can be
> arrested and punished) or if she was raped, she should charge the
> rapist  so that she should not be charged under hudud and let free as
> there is no case against her.
>
> she should be sentence after her child is not depending to her, i.e. not
> milking to her as other people can cake care of the baby.  What makes
> this case a controversial one is maybe because how the trial was
> conducted.. maybe not through what Islam had stated like the judge was
> biased or misinteprete the law or the procedure or there was some
> inteference from politicians (like the corruption  and sodomy trial of
> Anwar Ibrahim, ex deputy prime minister of Malaysia where there had
> inteference of the malaysian prime minister Mahathir to the justice
> system so that Anwar will found guilty regardless  there was no
> convincing evidences).
>
> As far as I know, the sentence that Amina had has nothing to do with 911
> tragedy.  She got few support in Nigeria or people cheering the verdict
> is not because of 911 or because they hate America... but simply because
> they think that the verdict is according to Islam.  But if people from
> America who want to dictate of  dos and don'ts in their country by
> interfering their law, then this might spark a dissatisfaction among
> them towards America and if anybody there resort their dissatisfaction
> through violent term. there might be attack on the American properties
> in the country (just like the Palestinian case where some people said
> that the dissatisfaction of US siding on the Israeli's side of the
> conflict sparked the 911)

---------->There are two issues here, I believe.  First I agree with you that
is absolutely not the U.S.'s duty or right to dictate how any other country
must conduct their internal laws by force, generally.  It would be against
everythiong I believe to be american for the U.S. to send forces to Nigeria,
take control, and implement laws as it sees fit.  However, I see no reason
why the U.S. should act as a partner or friend or anything of that nature to
an actor that offends the US's morality.  If americans don't like the laws of
a country it is not for the US to force by force the other country to submit
to our sensibilities.  However, the country at odds with the US conscience
has no right to tell americans that they can not have said offense as part of
their opinion.  In other words, if the US doesn't like the way a country
treats its citizenry, it is perfectly within the US rights not to provide aid
to that country, not to do business with that country, etc.  It is perfectly
within individual americans rights to state that they disapprove of that
treatment.  Perfectly with each americans right to speak out in hopes of
changing that treatment.  I agree it is not within any americans rights to
dictate such changes.

The second issue, and what I believe to be a bigger problem is a problem
within Nigeria itself.  The Nigerian constitution is not a Muslim
constitution.  It is secular.  Nigeria is not a Muslim country despite the
numbers of Muslim faithful within her borders.  The problem comes in that
numerous provinces within Nigeria have taken to imposing the Shaiara in
direct conflict with the Nigerian constitution.  Muslim, and non-muslim alike
are beholden to Muslim law.  These two facts are what causes a problem here.
Again, it is not for the US to come in and say, the Nigerian constitution
must be honored on its own volition.  However, should the Nigerian government
ask for assitance in causing these "rebel" provinces back with its authorized
sovereignty, then we are talking a different story.

> I'm sorry for the off topic posting, but I just want to clear the issue
> of Amina through the perspective of a muslim, islamic law and human
> right.

Later,

--part1_77.b86c7f.2aeac67d_boundary