[Groop]Animations of Groo and the Gang...?

Steve Haak shaak@ureach.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:14:22 -0400

Thanks.  Too bad.  :-(((  But, I understand I guess.  It is so
important for the artists/creators/directors to have full
control over quality and production when going to animation.

I agree about post-1939 Popeye...  Actually, I have cut-off
years for various cartoons, where I just refuse to watch them
because it's just too darn painful!  Popeye I'll stretch to
about 1944, Disney's shorts are pretty bad after 1950, Warner
Bros. has a DEAD ZONE from about 1955-1985 where the quality
went out the window, the Hanna-Barbarians are "interesting"
until about 1970 (very hit-and-miss), then there are all of
those animation shops in Spain, the Philippines, Japan, Korea,
etc...

If anyone is familiar with Anne McCafferey and her Dragonriders
of Pern series, this is one example of the creator/author
trying to control the quality of her work.  She started working
with an animation shop (that included some of the most
expensive CGIs around at the time) a few years ago to give the
world a movie and TV series based on her books.  She was having
so much trouble controlling quality with the animation group
and artists that she eventually abandonded the project after
quite a bit of money and time.  :-(  Undestandable though - it
is HER work, genius, world, vision.  ;-)

Steve-Alonso
NYC

---- On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Grossmann, Gary (GaryG@DOR.WA.GOV)
wrote:

> Mark reported a number of years ago that a very short
animated Groo sample
> was done, I think as part of an attempt to work out a deal
for a Groo
> cartoon show that never happened.  It was never publically
seen nor is it
> available in any way, shape, or form to be publicly seen.
(darn! -hey, you
> know I asked!) At least that's what I remember.  -Gary G.
>
> PS  This subject comes up every year or so.  Mark is one of
the most
> respected cartoon directors in the business and Sergio is,
well, he's
> Sergio!  From what Mark has told us, the reason there has not
been a Groo
> cartoon is because no one wants to give them the creative
control they
> insist upon, the quality they insist upon, and the share of
the profits they
> insist upon. No Groo is better than a compromised, poorly
produced Groo that
> rips off Sergio & Mark.  (If you are not sure about that
general principle,