[Groop] GROG part 2!! complete with GROGRAM!!

Groopunk at aol.com Groopunk at aol.com
Wed Dec 17 10:16:11 PST 2003

Ahoy-hoy!

Even better!  As I looked up this word "grog" on dictionary.com, I found THIS
intriguing entry:

grog    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (grg)
n. An alcoholic liquor, especially rum diluted with water.
[After Old Grog, nickname of Edward Vernon (1684-1757), British admiral who
ordered that diluted rum be served to his sailors, from grogram(from his habit
of wearing a grogram cloak).]

grog

\Grog\, n. [So named from ``Old Grog'' a nickname given to Admiral Vernon, in
allusion to his wearing a grogram cloak in foul weather. He is said to have
been the first to dilute the rum of the sailors (about 1745).] A mixture of
spirit and water not sweetened; hence, any intoxicating liquor.

-seth-