[Groop] Continued!!!!!!

Glarry Grossteller glarrygrossteller at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 00:42:14 PDT 2003

GROOISM!!! GROOISM!!! GROOISM!!!

I don't know what happened, but halfway through the keyboard reverted to Greek letters, I managed my cryptic response only by cutting and pasting letters and sending, then shutting down, SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN LARRY AND GARY GET TOGETHER?

Where was I?

Caught up with Veteran Groopee Scott Hudlow & 7 1/2 month old Baby Marcy around 9:00 am, who were heading in to set up his booth (he's a comic book dealer, I'm helping, somewhat...), entering the convention center, he was stopped by Security because - GET THIS - the infant who could barely crawl didn't have a BADGE!!! Glad I was there, because Scott REALLY needed to get in to set up for the day, but Security wouldn't let THE BABY in without a badge! Scott said he needed to set-up, and he'd get the baby a badge after he set up, but no dice. Now, Scott was assured personally by the Head Honcho of the Con (Scott can provide name) that a badge wasn't necessary for an infant who was only crawling and thus not likely to harass Stan Lee much, but Security was being hard-nosed about the baby needing a badge and wouldn't let him in!

So Scott just went to another entrance, but Our Man was on top of him, and threatened to expel a paying vendor from the con permanently for the crime of trying to sneak in an infant! OH THE HORROR!!! So I had to take Scott's baby from him and go get a badge ( I wasn't allowed to leave the baby with his father, see, because the baby wasn't allowed in without a badge...) and go register the little troublemaker!!!

I then went to security, asked for a supervisor,and said. "HI. This baby isn't mine, but she needs to file a complaint so I have to speak for her. I was forced to take her from her father whom I BARELY KNOW and needs to set up his booth for the day before it opens in a half hour, because she's apparently not allowed to accompany her father without a badge..."

Scott got an apology!

Eric saved me from committing a Grooism by yelling in a timely manner "No Larry, that's THE women's bathroom!!!"

As stated earlier, lunch with Carolyn Kelly and Gary Grossmann was a blast, she's a fun, cool lady! Ya know, we didn't even talk at all about her famous Dad, the legendary Walt Kelly of POGO fame, but rather spoke of our wild and Grooish pasts and such. Carolyn spoke wistfully of her wild youth going to art school in the sixties, Gary spoke of his stint as a longshoreman (!!!) and of his family (of whom he is apparently the SANEST member, go figure!!!) and me about my own family weirdness and how I'm like a slice of bologna. (I'll explain that comment another time!!!)

Anyway, QUICK DRAW is a panel where Mark Evanier plays host to a panel akin to WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY, except with cartoonists drawing subjects he and the audience offer up to the panel. Panelists Sergio Aragones (who else?), Scott Shaw!, Jim Lee and Kyle Baker were a hoot! There was too much lunacy to go into in detail, but I have seldom ever laughed harder! It's close, but I think this year's panel was funnier than last year's. Of course Sergio stole the show, but the others were pretty damned funny and creative as well!

In addition to the Groopees mentioned yesterday and earlier, I met Chris McCollum and his son Mike, lurker and nice guy Andrew Chance, who bought some Groo's from Scott's booth, and Barry Trapp, son of one of the very first Groopee's I ever became friends with, BJ  "Bunny" Trapp! Hey Bunny, your son is a fungi, I mean a fun guy, sorry he won't be around for the Groo panel!

Scott Shaw did a great commissioned sketch for me, Barney Rubble hitting Fred Flintstone in the face with a fish, and I commissioned Sergio to draw a confused GROO with a dilemma: a randy CHAKAAL to the right or a free vat of Cheese Dip to the left!!! WHICH WAY TO GO??? AWESOME!

I'll wrap this up now, people waiting for the computer, tomorrow promises to be an even wackier day! See ya!!!