[Groop]Back to the Batcave

Larry Steller mrgrooism at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 20:39:18 PST 2003

I thought I'd reprint my post on Sunday Night's
special [i]Back to the Batcave[/i] from Scott Shaw!'s
Oddball Comics Forum here, since I'm sure many
GROOpies tuned in.

I haven't yet checked Mark's POVonline column, but am
sure he's got an opinion up there as well!

-Larry

Remember the thread about Guilty Pleasures?

Yeah, [i]Back to the Batcave[/i] was a big time guilty
pleasure!

The framing sequences were as painful as they were
intended to be, pure camp, and taken in that spirit,
real guilty pleasure type fun. I think Adam and Burt's
willingness to make fools of themselves and act the
buffoons was part of the charm, but of course the best
parts were the flashbacks to filming.

They lightly touched on various aspects of production,
from auditions to the series wrap, always quickly
moving on without really bogging down (except of
course in the framing sequences). For instance, they
showed Adam and Burt's petty bickering, showed a token
resolution, then moved on. This kept it more fun than
tell-all!

I kept thinking while watching [i]Back to the
Batcave[/i] "This is soooo stupid, I really don't want
to like this, but damnit I love it!!!"

=====