[Groop]Cartoon show....

CrazySketchbook at aol.com CrazySketchbook at aol.com
Mon Mar 17 16:51:12 PST 2003

In a message dated 3/17/03 7:01:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
grossfam at olywa.net writes:

> Yes, of course, this is true.  But since there will never be an animated
> Groo without Sergio & Mark firmly in charge, if there IS an animated Groo,
> it will be great.
>
> I just hope that whatever project they are working on doesn't fall through.
> Even if it doesn't lead to Groo, animated Sergio wordsmithed and directed
> by
> Mark would be wonderful.
>
> -Gary G.

I am often curious as to why fans constantly clamor for animated versions of
their characters... not to say that I am above this, as I would love to see
an animated Groo some day.  But why aren't people satisifed with the
characters in their current forms?  This is my theory, let me know your
opinion of it: When I read Groo, I have an idea of Groo's voice, the way he
moves, the way he acts.  This, in comic book form, is only conveyed in a
series of static images... your mind must fill in the voices, and what takes
place *between* the panels.  So I think deep down, what we want is just some
sort of assurance that we are indeed imagining these things correctly.  Now,
if we are good fans, we would watch this hypothetical Groo cartoon, and
immediately go "Oh, THAT's how they are supposed to be percieved."  But if we
are crappy fans, we would immediately jump up and shout about how the cartoon
didn't do justice to the comic... which, unfortunately, I've seen happen with
other translations to the screen.

Any thoughts?  Is this just a lot of hot air, or is there some meaning behind
all of this ranting I do?

---

Tyler Sticka, cartoonist at large.

Visit <A HREF="http://tylersticka.tripod.com">TYLERSTICKA.TRIPOD.COM</A> for free art and cartoons!