[Groop]Aragones Pocket books

Grossmann, Gary GaryG at DOR.WA.GOV
Thu Mar 27 09:27:07 PST 2003

When Sergio means to draw Groo, you know it's Groo. (Well, 99% of the time
anyway)  It's when he doesn't mean to draw Groo that Groo-like characters
are created.

When I first searched dozens and dozens of old MAD Magazines for little tiny
Groos, I ran across a number of characters that looked a lot like Groo, but
always something was not quite right.  When Sergio draws his wordless gags,
he uses lots of sterotypes.  So tough guys, whether they are cops or thugs
or whatever, always have noses simlar to Groo's; stuff like that. So it's
not surprising that Groo-like characters show up. But they are not Groo.

Oh, and the first published Groo drawing that I have found is from 1977.
Groo looks a little different, but just a tad.  His jaw is a little heavier
and he has a tooth showing.  But the swords, tunic, headband, swordholder,
and of course the Groo nose are all exactly the way they have always been.
So Groo was pretty well set at least 5 years before Destroyer Duck.

-Gary G.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ugly Person [mailto:msudol0928 at rogers.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 8:03 AM
To: List - Groo
Subject: Re: [Groop]Aragones Pocket books

Okay okay I'll give you that one.  The resemblance is pretty good. It's hard
to tell, of course, if it was either intended to look like Groo, or just a
coincidence. Sergio may be the only one who can answer this, but after
millions of characters drawn, I would believe it if even he didn't know.  My
assumption is of course that at the time Groo was unrefined since he had yet
to make an "official" appearance.  A prototype? A fluke?  Darned if I really
know, except that it did have more than just a slight resemblance. But since
I'm biased, I may be seeing things that aren't there.

However, on this tiny lead statue my toddler just pulled out of a drawer....
that most certainly is Sergio leaning on a pencil.