[Groop] OT: Book donations (was Library Saga Update)

Pengyfelix at aol.com Pengyfelix at aol.com
Sun Oct 26 08:33:23 PST 2003

<snip>Maybe that is what happens to the books you never see.
Check the Salvation Army store shelves.<snip>

Actually, I don't much care what the library does with the donated books,
since the library knows their needs better than I do.  I figure that if they sell
them instead of putting them in circulation, that means they probably needed
money to pay the librarians or something.  Besides, there are something like
15 library branches throughout the county, so it means little that I have not
seen them at my library.

The way I look at it, the public library is doing me a service by letting me
thin out my personal library when I no longer need some of the books.  I don't
have to box up books I know I am never going to open again when we move
(about every year or so we change apartments).  I get a nifty tax deduction, and
they get a bunch of books that they either don't have to purchase for their
collection or that they can sell to raise money for their other needs.  Plus, with
my college textbooks, I actually come out ahead since, on my taxes, I can
deduct the fair market value rather than being paid 12 cents for it by the
university bookstore during book buyback.
Janet

http://janetharriett.blogspot.com
http://hometown.aol.com/pengyfelix/myhomepage/index.html