[Groop] A Grooish Weekend

Gary Grossmann grossfam at olywa.net
Mon Aug 9 16:58:50 PDT 2004

Hi Folks!

First off, here is the Convention Groo Stuff Update:  I should be getting
the decks of cards within a week or so.  I should have enough for everyone,
so don't bid on the decks that are on ebay.  I'm having a little trouble
making direct contact with the Disabled Services folks from the Con, but I
anticipate that will work out eventually.

Ok, so it was indeed a very Grooish weekend in Grossmann land.  Friday
morning I took my son to the airport to start his journey to join his wife
in Japan.  In addition to all their other stuff, we are keeping their car
for the year.  So of course less that 6 hours after his plane took off,
Claire was in a fender bender in that very car!  (No one hurt, no damage to
the other vehicle, a very well built truck).  But thanks to an overbuilt
trailer hitch on the truck it was also a bumper bender and radiator buster,
so the car is temporarily inoperable.

Then on Saturday my brother and his partner, Bob, were married.  The
ceremony took place in their backyard.  It was my first gay wedding and so
it had, for me, a certain surreal aspect.  This was heightened by the fact
that their neighbors were having a garage sale at the same time.  Driving to
the house, you'd see signs that said "This way to Jim & Bob's Wedding"
right next to "Garage Sale 10:00am-3:00pm."  I'm almost sure there were some
wedding guests checking out the stuff laid out for the garage sale. And I
think a couple garage sale people might have been checking out all the lawn
chairs and tables in Jim's backyard thinking they were for sale and also
thinking they had never been to a catered garage sale before or one where
the home owners greeted you in tuxedos.

Sunday morning was a little more run-of-the-mill-Grooness, at least for me.
I got up much earlier than everyone else to discover a minor ant invasion in
the kitchen.  Someone had given The Long Suffering Mrs. G. a box of apples
and I was quickly able to discern that this was the source of the ants.
Fortunately, they were confined to the counters.  Not wanting to wake
everyone up by running the vacuum cleaner (my usual MO for such
circumstances), I just started squishing the little bastards (sorry Eric) as
fast as I could.  Groo would have been proud.  I managed to get 99 and
44/100%  of them squished and deposited down the sink before anyone else got
up.  And so the ranch was saved.

All in all, a weekend to remember.  Or to forget, depending on your point of
view.

Take care all -Gary G.