[Groop] new thread: what sort of adventure would you like to seegroo undertake?

Denis Hackney dhackney at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 10 19:31:00 PST 2004

Shawn Moore wrote:
> Wouldn't it be kewl to see groo in space? or visit an underwater
> city? or groo wander into a town and it not burn down?

OK, a quick recap for those people who're new to the Groop since...
uh... well, since whenever it was this issue came up last.

M.E. has specifically asked that this sort of speculation about future
Groo storylines be kept *off* the Groo mailing list.  To quote from
the Groop FAQ I started writing nearly 5 years ago and still haven't
gotten around to finishing:

> 2.	"Hey, I have a great idea for a Groo story..."
>
> So, you've got this great idea for a story, that you'd really love
> to see ME and Sergio do?  Well sorry, but it's not going to happen.
> The surest way to make sure none of your ideas ever appear in a
> Groo comic is to suggest it to M.E.  He has stated categorically
> that any story ideas sent to him or the Groop will *never* appear
> in a Groo comic.  Groo always has been, and always will be a
> Sergio and Mark production.  If they start using story ideas from
> other people, then a small part of Groo would no longer belong to
> them, and we're not talking just about the legal point of view
> here.  With the amount of effort these guys have put in over the
> years maintaining full creative control and ownership of Groo, it's
> completely understandable that they feel this way.  Another point
> here is that ME and Sergio don't *need* your story ideas - it's
> been over 20 years since Groo first appeared, and they're still
> coming up with way more ideas for Groo stories than they'll ever
> have time to publish.  So please, don't send your Groo story ideas
> and plots to the Groop.  The last thing we would want would be for
> M.E. to have to leave the list in order to avoid hearing Groo
> ideas.

That about sums it up, I think.  If someone wants to talk about future
Groo storylines and all that, probably the best place to do it is on
the rarely-used Groo Message Board
<http://pub84.ezboard.com/bgroomessageboard> or even over at
groo.com's Groo Chat page <http://www.groo.com/chat.html> (if you can
find someone to talk to there).  That way we can speculate all we
like, and M.E. can avoid hearing our ideas by just not going there,
thus avoiding possibly having to throw out a future Groo story because
someone's come up with a similar idea (from memory, this has actually
happened in the past).

Your friendly neighbourhood party-pooper,
Denis.

P.S. Sorry if this sounds like I'm having a go at you personally,
Shawn - I'm certainly not trying to.  It's just that your message is a
convenient place to stick up a reminder notice, sort of thing...
--
Denis Hackney - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~dhackney/