[Groop] CBA: Top Secret!!!

E C mightyhero at go.com
Mon Jan 26 23:24:33 PST 2004

   Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:32:15 -0500
   From: JonBCooke at aol.com
Subject: Sergio Aragones tribute

Honoring the Great Aragones!

Comic Book Artist, the two-time Eisner Award-winning magazine devoted to the
celebration of funnybook creators past and present, is proud to announce a
special issue devoted to the life and work of cartoonist extraordinare Sergio
Aragonés on the 50th anniversary of his start as a professional cartoonist. Set
for July 2004 release, CBA Volume 2, #6 will feature an exhaustive
career-spanning interview with the talented artist/writer (as well as chats with
his Groo cohorts Mark Evanier, Stan Sakai, and Tom Luth) along with an extensive
gallery section (including a color portfolio), all behind a new cover by the
Great One.

But perhaps the most important feature in this special issue will be a section
full of testimonials and tributes by his appreciative peers. So we're
specifically contacting you to request your involvement in the issue. Whether
you've had personally encounters with the artist or have enjoyed his great MAD
work and comic book achievements over the years, and would like to share a
testimonial, anecdote, gag panel/illustration, or even a short (half-page
minimum, two-pages maximum) comic-book story, or have original material by or
photos of Sergio to share, please contact us as soon as convenient and we'll
make sure there will be space for you. If you'd like to either draw or write a
tale but need a collaborator, we'll hook you up with the right person.

It's of primary importance to note that this testimonial section will be a
surprise to Sergio so mum's the word and let's keep this top secret fact from
the cartoonist, okay?

We want this to be as heart-felt and appreciative a celebration as we can muster
(akin to our Flo Steinberg Valentine's Day special in CBA Vol. 1, #18) and hope
you can join in on the festivities. Sergio is an extraordinary gentleman, as
affectionate and supportive as anyone who has graced our field, and we hope to
do Señor Aragonés justice with this special issue. Please share this information
with anyone you think would be interested but, again, let's keep Sergio from
catching wind of our nefarious little plot.

Contact me via e-mail at JonBCooke at aol.com or call (401) 783-1669 or write:

Jon B. Cooke
COMIC BOOK ARTIST magazine
P.O. Box 204
West Kingston RI 02892-0204

(Any valuable material, including art and photos, etc., can be FedEx/Airborned,
etc., to CBA's street address: 3706 Kingstown Road, West Kingston RI 02892)

Deadline for material is coming up very soon: March 15th, but please drop me a
line so I can plan your involvement in this special. The entire issue will be
devoted to the artist so there's plenty of room (plus a color section, for those
interested) but contact me by Feb 15th to reserve your space. Given the scope of
this project, we're sorry to say that we cannot pay for contributions but you
will, of course, retain your copyright and be returned any original art, photos,
etc., as applicable.

So let's do Sergio right, people! I look forward to hearing from you and thanks
for considering this request.

Take care,

Jon B. Cooke
Editor/CBA