[Groop] (File Sharing)

Groo grinningdemon at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 15:11:08 PST 2004

Me thinks no matter what the law is in whatever land, people will always
have the idea that "I bought it and can do whatever I want with it".

That's what threw out the whole case with Jon Lech Johansen (The guy who
cracked DVD protection and exploited it). His defense was that DVDs won't
play on Linux, so he wrote DeCSS to crack DVDS so they would. The Norway
courts flat out said that he bought the DVD and can do whatever he wanted
with it and threw out the case.

I'm actually surprised that Mark hasn't touched this subject yet.