[Groop] The Big Poster, etc.

Gary Grossmann grossfam at olywa.net
Sat Jan 31 15:46:32 PST 2004

Hi Folks!

First off, the pictures don't do the room justice.  It looks even better in
real.  Also, they don't show the bookcase (which is to the right of Groo &
Rufferto) that has all the American trade paperbacks, all the international
(mostly Spanish) books and trade paperbacks, and all the misc. books and
such that have Groo appearances and sit nicely in a bookcase.  There is also
a cupboard that holds the boxes of Groo appearances that don't sit nicely in
a bookcase and most of the International Groos because there is currently no
room for them on the wall.  Plus there are some other things in some binders
and oversized storage boxes.

Okay, about the big poster.  It is an enlargement (more or less twice the
dimensions) of the regular mass market poster.  I bought it a number of
years ago from a guy acting on behalf of a comic book store owner who was
liquidating his store.  I'm not 100% sure of the circumstances under which
it was made, but I was told it was used as a display to help promote an
appearance by Sergio at the store.  Whatever the story, it was very nicely
done.  My copy of the regular mass market poster in on display in my
"office," actually cubicle, or as Sergio put, my "booth."  Btw, the regular
poster is the actual size of the drawing.  I saw the original art at the
Cartoon Museum in San Francisco a few years back.

Oh, and to answer another question I received; that is actually 2 copies of
the newer edition of "The Life of Groo" below the poster with one flap of
each turned out so you can see the entire drawing.  I did the same thing
with "The Death of Groo" you can on the top row above the computer in one of
the pictures.  Most of the time the art on the back of the wrap around
covers is the niftier than the front cover.  So I'm accumulating a second
copy of them all so I can see the whole drawing at the same time.

And I will get a close up of the bookcase with all the misc. stuff on it per
a couple of requests.  If anyone has any questions about any of the things
they see, I will try to answer them.  Hopefully in shorter fashion than
today.   Take care all -Gary G.