[Groop] SD Con Merchandising followup [Non-Groo related]

MisterElie at aol.com MisterElie at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 21:50:17 PDT 2004

Just got back onto my computer tonight to followup on something I  noticed.
On a lark, Janet and I looked up SD Comic Con stuff on ebay and  we were
positively agog to see how much the "freebes" are going for right now on  ebay.

I personally don't see how anyone could pay several dollars for a free  SciFi
Channel pin, but I'm sure if you wrote to the SciFi Channel, they'd be  happy
to supply you with one.

But I'm writing this on a personal note to Star Wars fans because I am one
myself.  The Con "Exclusive" silver Stormtrooper action figures are going  for
$50.00 on ebay right now.  FYI: you could buy them at the Comic Con for
$11.00 each.  Further FYI: they are available TODAY at the Star Wars shop  for
$10.00!

Also, they were giving away Republic Commando patches for FREE at the  Con.
Today, they are selling them for $3.00 on ebay.  I have not  found them at the
Star Wars shop but I thought anyone interested in bidding on  them would like
to know the markup.

Finally, the Episode III Revenge of the Sith t-shirts were going for $16.95
at the con and can still be had at the SW Shop for that price.  Although,  if
you really want to bid $25.00+ for them, be my guest.

Folks, please feel free to pass this information on to any of your friends
who are SW fans like myself.  This stuff, like Sergio Aragones sketches,  are
given out or sold purely for the enjoyment of fans.  I don't know  anything
about the legality of stuff like this (I'm sure it is legal), but it's  really
disheartening to see people do this.  When the SD Comic Con was  founded 30+
years ago, I don't think this is what they had in mind.   Remember the alternate
comic book cover craze 10 years ago?  This is the  same thing.  I'm very
disappointed people would go to the comic con under  the guise of "fan" so they
could grab as much as they could so they can sell it  the moment they got home.

And just for the record, because I attended the Star Wars fan club
breakfast, Lucasfilm gave me FOUR of those damn silver sandtrooper action  figures, a
1977 LP, a 45 of the Imperial March, 2 Star Wars T-shirts (see Eric  Chun's
photo), a film cell, and several other pieces of memorabilia.  And  before you
ask, the answer is "no!"  Like my Sergio Aragones sketch, I'm  neither giving
away, nor selling any of it.

Elie