[Groop] OT: technical comics question

Pengyfelix at aol.com Pengyfelix at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 09:49:53 PST 2004

Does anybody know if there is a technical term for those word balloons that 
show a more extended bit of dialog in a single panel?  For instance, person A 
says something, person B replies, person A replies to that, etc., all in the 
same panel.  I've seen it done a few places, but I'm not sure what it's called.  
 While we're at it, is "word balloons" the appropriate term?

I'm working on another submission for MAD Magazine (I'm trying to send them 
stuff faster than they can reject it), and since I do not draw worth a hill of 
beans, I have to describe the visual gags in writing.  I'd like to have enough 
vocabulary to sound like I know what I'm doing, since I am obviously winging 
it on the format.  

My goal with MAD, other than becoming a regular in the Usual Gang of Idiots, 
is to write a piece that appears on the same page as a Sergio marginal.  
Actually, the coolest thing would be to have Sergio be the artist on something I 
wrote, but baby steps.  First, I have to have something accepted.  Not sounding 
like an idiot would be a good start.


PS:  MAD has the best rejection letters.  Not only are they funny, they 
actually give you a reason.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman.newdream.net/pipermail/groop/attachments/20040331/f3c25bf8/attachment.html

More information about the Groop mailing list