[Groop] Groo Cards

Fergus Maximus stumblemeister at myway.com
Tue Nov 2 19:21:03 PST 2004

Hi folks,

Anyone else here convinced that Gary is a genius?

Count me in (officially). Payment will be paypalled to you shortly.

OK, I'll deal with things in Dessesebetical Order:

TEXT:

Three chairs for clearing up the typos. Sorry, cheers. I meant cheers, obviously. Forget to finish my own sentence next

I agree the mulch definition is essential. I can't count the number of times I've needed it and haven't had it to hand. Being able to reach into my wallet to find it will be so much easier than having to cart around various copies of Groo and is much less likely to reduce my collection to something that would only be useful for constructing a Groo Fan Club (old Groo Grams joke -- apologies to newbies).

I agree that putting the SA and ME together makes the card look cleaner.

>It's too bad their initials actually spell a word

On the contrary, I think the cards will now say what Mark has always officially maintained: GROO has been the SAME since 1982 -- only one joke (such a pity he had to stop using that line since so many people suffer from a chronic irony deficiency).

I also agree that two Groo quotes are better than one. I suggest that both of these quotes would look better if they were centred (horizontally) relative to the available space.

FONTS:

I'm really pleased the "number" (GROO SAME 1982 0001) will be ALL CAPS.

I think a smaller font for the "OFFICIAL GROOP MEMBERSHIP CARD" text would be a good idea since it would give the card more white space, allowing the card to "breathe" ... er, I guess that would be orange space in this context, wouldn't it?

In fact, my suggestion would be to put it in mixed case (rather than ALL CAPS) and use a simple, condensed sans serif font like Arial Narrow Bold at, say, 12 point.

This would make it look vaguely like this: "Official Groop Membership Card" and would enable us to put it all on one line, greatly improving the overall look of the card by making it less cluttered. We could then spread out the other lines vertically to give a better balance to the force ... er, no to the card. Sorry. Slipping into Jedi again.

Whatever font we use for the text at the top I'd also use, with a smaller font size obviously, for the "Member since" bit.

COLOR:

Bright orange is bright orange for my marmalade but I trust you all to come up with a good solution.

MEMBER SINCE:

Gary, I'm quite sure I've been a member since 1823. At least some mornings it certainly feels like it. However, for the sake of argument I will say 2003 and leave it at that.

MEMBERSHIP NUMBER

I wholeheartedly agree with Larry's idea of only the last 4 digits being different and humbly submit to Chris/Glorko's quicker trigger finger requesting number 42 (I should also add that Simon's request for pi was a stroke of sheer brilliance).

To whit, I hereby request 3374 (FERG according to my telephone). If that's already taken, I'll have 0125 (with the 9 from the title of the classic Yes album obviously being silent).

BLANKS

I like the idea of giving the blanks a random number and using "GROOP MEMBER #[insert said random number]" for the name. The other issue will be the "member since" year. It would be great if it could be "some time in 2004 or later" but I rather suspect that wouldn't work. I guess they'll all be 2004 (or 2005 if it takes that long to organise).

NAME

FERGUS MAXIMUS will suit me just fine.

PAYPAL

>Last time with the Dark Horse cards, paypal took a chunk out of the >funds you all sent through them. Is there anyway to avoid that?

That's the processing fee for people paying using a credit card. I'm sure Jorge can give a much more helpful explanation and I'm quite certain he can calculate how much extra people should add to make sure that you end up getting the full $7.00 (okay, Jorge? sorry to dump you in it but, frankly, you're The Man).

Okay, that's more than enough from me. Once again, "Gary, you rock". And Larry. And Janet and womble and ... well, you all know who you are. I'm going to quit before I forget someone important.

Catch you soon,
Ferg
PS Incidentally, is the position of Mayor of Grooville being contested in the current US election?