[Groop] OT "The Curse"

John T Comics230 at cox.net
Sat Oct 23 05:06:56 PDT 2004

OK, it's time to put you guys straight.

I've been a Red Sox fan all my life (41 years). And if "The Curse" isn't
real, it should be.

Actually, "The Curse" was created by a Boston sportswriter, Dan Shaughnessy,
in the 80's to "explain" why the Red Sox always fail. He did, of course,
trace it back to the Red Sox of 1918. (Did you know those early Yankee teams
had not only the Babe, but, 10 other former Red Sox players on them?). The
Red Sox not only lost but it spectacular fashion. In 1946, Johnny Peskey
'held' the ball as the winning run scored in a game. In 1967, Bob Gibson
threw a 3 hitter in game 7, on 3 days rest (the Boston pitcher was going on
2 days rest). In 1972, The Red Sox finished ½ out of first (strike year and
they played one less game). In 1975, there was a "no call" on interference
call on a Cincinnati player, Ed Armbrister. In 1978, it was a colossal
collapse (14 games up in August) by the Red Sox and Bucky "#@$%^##" Dent's
home run in a one game playoff. In 1986, it was Billy Buckner letting a ball
go though his legs. In 2003, keeping Pedro too long led to Aaron "@#$%##@"
Boone's HR in extra innings. (Note: all four Red Sox World Series loses have
been in 7 games.)

Today, I think "The Curse" manifests itself in the enormous pressure the
fans and press put on the players. Boston is unlike any other sports town.
The greatest Icon can come tumbling down in an instant. Mike Torrez, who
gave up Bucky "@$#$#@#$" Dent's home run, was at game 6 in 1986. After
Buckner's error, he turned to friends and said, "Thank God, I'm off the
hook!"

A friend of mine's grandmother, a die hard Red Sox fan, passed two days
after the end of the 86 series. My friend swears to this day it was because
of the Red Sox failure. For 1986, I personally blame Paul Swanson. I was
watching the game with friends. On the score board it read "Congratulations,
Bruce Hurst, 1986 World Series MVP" [Bruce Hurst = B Ruth Curse].  We were
getting the Champaign out! Out of the corner of the room we hear, "You know,
it's not over yet." The rest is history!

Of course, all the Red Sox's failures can be traced to logical sources and
reasons. But the passion of the fans and number and enormity of the failures
create a mythos around the Red Sox. "The Curse" will only be broken with a
World Series Championship.

Groo must be a Red Sox fan.

John "Thank God for the Patriots" Torregrossa

P.S. There have been several attempts to break "The Curse". Including a
Voodoo priestess and someone paying several hundred thousand dollars to
repurchase the Babe by buying the original contract that sold the Babe to
New York in the first place.