[Groop] test & Back From Japan

GARY GROSSMANN grossfamm at comcast.net
Mon Apr 4 14:00:30 PDT 2005

Eric-Got your Test Message.

Hi Folks!

Well, after a little over 20 hours, 4 airports, 4 busses, 2 planes, a train,
a subway, a
van, and a car, we are home from our trip to Japan to visit my son and
duaghter-in-law.  I know some of you are experienced world travellers, but
this was a first for me and The Long Suffering Mrs. G.  Boy it was great!
(Despite a few Groo Moments)

We saw all sorts of castles, temples, shrines, palaces, apartment buildings,
and Hello Kitties.  In a lot of ways it was like being in an alternate
universe where things are the same in many respects, but also different or
slightly out of kilter.  The Japanese are great folks and are very
accommadating to a mendicant like myself.  Things run smooth as butter over
there and my only complaint is that their comic book world is so entrenched
and different that there is no place for a Japanese version of Groo or even
Usagi Yojimbo(!?!?!).

But maybe it's really because Groo is known in Japan and is considered an
evil demon or omen or something like that.  Because at virtually every
historic building that you visit the description goes something like this:

"The Yaddy-Yaddy Temple was originally constructed in 789 as a residence for
the local lord.  In 982 it burned to the ground.  Upon its reconstruction in
1028, the owners gave it over to Buddhist monks to convert to a Temple for
which it became widely known until 1328 when it burned to the ground.  In
1386 a new temple was built and new buildings were added to the compound,
most of which were destroyed in a typhoon in 1450.  Two years later the
remaining biuldings burned to the ground..."

You see a pattern here?  And it's like that with dozens of these really cool
places!  I think Groo must be envolved somehow and THAT is why they don't
have any Groo comics in Japan!

What other explanation could there be?

Take care all.  -Gary G.

P.S.  Who was it who was standing on the Great Wall of China?  I can't find
the message and pic in my archives.