[Groop] Friday Night GrooFest Report

Glarry Grossteller glarrygrossteller at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 16 00:39:35 PDT 2005

Just got back from the Eisners, which though interesting could learn quiute a lot about pacing and entertainment value, too many interesting folks were presented in uninteresting ways!

Our annual Groo Dinner was held at the Crab Shack,and included Steve Kuhn, The Josh Joneses, Scott Hudlow and 3-man entourage, Gary and Larry. As we had an hour wait for a table, Kaytee and #2 son as well as Dougie McCoy were sent to bed without supper. One of Scott's entourage, his friend Dave, was endlessly fascinated by the fact that The Groop exists,and decided he was the one mann Groo Fan Club Fan Club.

Not much in Groo-related happenings today, but tomorrow is Quick Draw and the Cartoon Voices panel, so we promise a much more interesting update.

Also met our newest Groopie/Grooper/Groopey/Groo Trooper/Groopier Mike, who will have to choose sides on the Great What Do We Call Ourselves Debate.

Today GrooFest shared the stage with the Comic Kong, as Larry attende a great panel spotlighting Forrest J. Ackerman and then a signing/photo op with The Ackermonster. Tis was followed by a fascinating King Kong 1933 pael featuring Ray Harryhausen (!!!), Joe DeVito & Brad Strickland (Kong, King of Skull Island - BUY IT!!!) and Mark Cotta Vas (upcoming biography of Merian C. Cooper!)

The quote of the day came from Mr. Harryhausen, in response to the 1976 remake of Kong which inexplicably features no dinosaurs and the same amount of charm as dinosaurs. It's no secret that Mr. Harryhausen was mightily inspired by KK33 to becone the  Stop Motion King. Said he of KK76 "If I had seen THAT PICTURE in 1933 I would have become a plumber!"

http://mail.yahoo.com